an post tv licence direct debits

P

panathon

Hi

About 6 years ago now, I paid for a tv licence by credit card with an post. A direct debit was automatically setup on my credit card. I didn't sign or allow this, I would never setup a direct debit on a credit card anyway. Year after year I get an automatic tv licence sent out as they have pulled the money from the credit card.

Here is the catch, the credit card is cancelled. The bank rang me about this last year after an post debited it yet again, I have 4 times gone into the bank in question to close the card definitely, I have sent 2 letters to An Post to cancel any direct debit they may have which unless their small print is completely in japanese :) I never authorised anyway. The bank has assured me the card is absolutly dead. Yet I now have my licence again. The card has been cancelled for 2 years.

I have a paid for in cash licence for this year, so now I have 2. My question is how am I liable as I have contacted both the bank and an post? The card is long gone, but somewhere somehow it is still active. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

This sounds bizarre.

Why doesn't the bank simply reject the transaction if the card is cancelled? Are you still being stuck for the credit card levy each year?

Shouldn't this happen automatically anyway as the expiry date you originally gave an post has presumably expired.

I vaguely remember the first time I paid the licence by credit card, there was some small print which stated that the arrangement would continue until they were informed otherwise - hence the annual charge on the card.

I seem to remember getting a reminder about 2 weeks before the licence expired last September, and it said that if there were any changes to details, I should contact them before the end of the month.

As I've changed my credit card recently, I will have to change the details with An Post next time around. But I expect a reminder!

As an aside, when I closed my CC with AIB, the person went through the direct debits she could see on file. Very useful in case I'd forgotten to switch one of the DDs on the card.

Last edited:
Experienced something similar with Setanta. Signed up for monthly charge by CC last summer. Card expired during winter and I did not notify Setanta of new card expiry. However the monthly amount is still being debited even though the card details they have are expired. Strange?

Not really, many companies do it. The credit card companies are complicit in this, claiming it helps the customer.

Back