An Post text

Shelby219

Received a text message from the usual an post number asking me to open a link which goes to a ,an post looking site with a card payment option as there is a parcel waiting to be delivered, but 1.67(in dollars not euro) is due first.
My phone gave a message that this was malware, has the an post number been hacked? as the main an post site says they will never ask for payment this way?

Reactions: nad
Hackers can send texts using legitimate numbers. Delete it.

I do not understand why this issue does not get more publicity, the fact that hackers can send out text messages which are from numbers that are used for legitimate purposes by the banks and other organisations. Most scams require some degree of vulnerability/greed on the part of the victim, but sending a message under the real number of the bank, used by the bank for everyday purposes seems very dangerous to me.

Lots more in this thread.

I got a card from An Post telling me that there was a parcel waiting to be delivered but I had to pay the VAT on it.

But I was expecting the parcel and it may have given me more information. It never occurred to me that it might be a scam.

I went onto An Post , paid the VAT and it was delivered the following day.

Brendan

I was expecting a parcel from new Zealand, but the sender definitely did not put my phone number on it, so that's was also a giveaway, plus the amount being in us dollars

I got one of those texts yesterday, the link to the website ended in .cc which An Post would not use as a website address.
It asked me for 1.67 too.

If it had direct link to payment with details filled in it is a scam.

The official an post text gives you reference number and asks you to visit the anpost site and enter your reference number manually

An post deliberately doesn't use deep links to make people less likely to click on deep links in scam texts

I got that text today also. It asked me for 1.67 too. I clicked on it (which was probably a mistake-then deleted the link).
I did use PayPal recently after not using it for several months. Not sure if there is any connection? Anyway, it's interesting that it's doing the rounds.

Back