An Post Postal Money Drafts

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Originally posted by Ophelia in another thread

Heres something I discovered yesterday. I always saved my sons school fees in a Post Office Savings account. Every August I went to the PO and got a postal money draft for the amount payable to the school - convenient and safe. Yesterday however, I was horrified to learn that the PO no longer issue drafts for more than E650, eventhough in June I got one for E3,000 in the PO.

If I had opted to go for multiple money drafts of E650 I would have had to purchase four of these at E3.70 each and a smaller one of E40 for E2.90. The total cost of my draft being E17.70 !! I was furious and said 'No, Thank you very much' Then I was told 'But you can take E3,000 in cash if you want' .
How stupid is that? encouraging people to walk around carrying large sums of money, let alone giving it to a teenage boy for the school secretary the next day. Not to mention the waste of paper and time administering all those drafts, when one transaction and one piece of paper for E3,000 would do the trick. I just don't get it!! I am now going to close my savings account with the An Post, (that's if I can fine one open!). No wonder they are losing millions every year.

Were you given any reason why they don't issue drafts for more than €650 anymore?

Not a dicky bird. I just don't see the point, if in the same breath they say they can give it to me in multiples of E650. Smells strongly of money-making.

Back