An Post Cheque in Joint Names

Bedlam

Hi

18 Years ago I had to open a Joint Savings Account in my own and my then 1 year old Sons name (as he was a juvenile at the time.

Now 19 years of age we went about closing the account and have received a cheque in our joint names and crossed "account payee only"

We are unable to either cash or lodge this cheque because we do not have a joint current account. I am wondering is there anyway around this other that having to open a joint account which would be for the sole purpose of cashing the cheque in question.

Any help or suggestions appreciated

Thanks

A lot has happened over the last few years re bank accounts so you have no option but to open a joint bank a/c.

Technically your son should be able to endorse the cheque over to you and facilitate the lodgment of the cheque to your account. However, banks have got extremely picky over the past couple of years and the local branches have lost their autonomy to cater for transactions like this. It would be worth your while calling in to the manager of your own branch who may be in a position to authorize this transaction for you.

Back