An Post and Laser cards

pnh

cant find a previous post on this.Wife went in to post office on Fri to post a parcel overseas and gave her Laser Card for payment-to be told sorry we dont take Laser.How ridiculous is that-they are supposed to be a bank now:mad:

tried to pay my eircom bill once through billpay and they wouldn't take a credit card.

Its totally behind the times, Ive had the same experience, post office look at me blankly when I try to pay with a card (laser or credit).
How many people out there actually carry large wads of cash around with which to pay bills?

They don't take cards for parcels or stamps I was told. Can't believe you can't use a card to pay a bill...

It's odd alright; I have used my laser card to pay off my credit card at the post office but as other posters mention could not buy stamps.

My post office has now printed signs on the walls saying that they only take cash for postage.

For billpay you can use your Lasercard but not credit card. Imagine paying your credit card bill with another credit card, an endless game.

But I agree it's so backward from AnPost to not take at least laser cards but than again, they would pay a fee for the transaction. Getting a 53 cent stamp an paying it with lasercard would certainly wipe out anything they migth gain.

In other countries these days you can even print postage online (to save the trip to the post office) but here, no sign of that.

I paid a visa bill in the GPO with a laser card about 3 months ago although the amount I could pay was limited to 1500.

That they don't take laser and the fact that most post offices still close from 1pm to 2:15pm drive me to distraction.

My post office has now printed signs on the walls saying that they only take cash for postage.

Are stamps legal tender in Ireland? - could you pay your taxi fare with them?

I don't think an post are entirely to blame for not accepting credit cards for eircom/esb etc. I think these companies refuse to pay the handling fee involved so post would be losing part of their collecting fee. laster cards for stamps over a certain value ( I suspect if they tried to do a ryanair on it and charge a handling fee Joe Duffy wouldn't have enought time for all talk to joes complaining) might be an option. afaik the lotto terminals are fitted with a laser card option but it hasn't been activated by the lotto.

Is the reason anything to do with stamps being legal tender, I know you can use your debit card to withdraw cash at some stores but you also need to purchase items.

Stamps are still regarded as legal tender aren't they?

Back