An employment law solicitor?

I don’t necessarily agree. It’s not dissimilar to asking for financial advice.
You really think that? Anyone who posts in the public domain the intricate background details of any employment-related difficulty that may in due course culminate in future litigation is at the very least incredibly naive.
And why would you assume the advice wouldn’t be professional?
You clearly misunderstand what professional advice entails. Accountability on the part of the professional, for starters.

Last edited:
You really think that? Anyone who posts in the public domain the intricate background details of any employment-related difficulty that may in due course culminate in future litigation is at the very least incredibly naive.
With respect, you seem to be getting a bit ahead of things. Nobody mentioned the necessity to provide “intricate details”.

It’s possible for an anonymous poster to present a broad description of the issue they’re experiencing and to seek the anonymous opinion of others on what their options are. It’s done frequently.
You clearly misunderstand what professional advice entails. Accountability on the part of the professional, for starters.
This site operates to provide anonymised financial and other advice. Where’s the accountability there?

With respect, you seem to be getting a bit ahead of things. Nobody mentioned the necessity to provide “intricate details”.

It’s possible for an anonymous poster to present a broad description of the issue they’re experiencing and to seek the anonymous opinion of others on what their options are. It’s done frequently.
Not in the context of the level of advisory services that solicitors provide to paying customers in relation to employment law issues - which is what the OP mentioned in their opening post
This site operates to provide anonymised financial and other advice. Where’s the accountability there?
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Not in the context of the level of advisory services that solicitors provide to paying customers in relation to employment law issues - which is what the OP mentioned in their opening post
In seeking recommendations, the OP is correctly cautious about the quality of any employment law practitioner he might engage.

I suggested an alternative route, that other posters have used, which might obviate the need for paid professional advice.

With the greatest respect to the late Richard, he wasn’t the only decent employment law practitioner any more than Dermot Bannon is the only architect in Ireland.

I agree salvatore. My post related to the suggestion that the firm would still be trading and would be a good route - they are being wound down so contacting them with new business at this point would likely be a waste of time.

Bumping this as looking for the same recommendation I know Richard Grogan sadly passed recently so any other names welcome.
Has anyone used Barry Crushell or Anne O'Connell?
I would not recommend Barry Crushell. I was very disappointed with him. He charges 250 for first consultation. During that time he is verbally drafting his letter of advice rather than listening or asking questions.

I would not recommend Barry Crushell. I was very disappointed with him. He charges 250 for first consultation. During that time he is verbally drafting his letter of advice rather than listening or asking questions.
You expect him to work for nothing and do nothing during the consultation? :oops:

And why would you assume the advice wouldn’t be professional?
I would assume it would be professional, meaning it would come at a substantial fee. That of course is not necessarily related to whether it's useful advice or not.

Are the incentives of law professionals aligned with, or opposed to, their clients?

I would assume it would be professional, meaning it would come at a substantial fee. That of course is not necessarily related to whether it's useful advice or not.
That's far from the definition of professional. Look it up.

There's nothing remotely professional about overcharging someone.

You expect him to work for nothing and do nothing during the consultation? :oops:
You can never resist having a pop even where its clear you do not have anywhere near enough information to do so.

I was not expecting him to work for free. How can you form that opinion?

I am just giving my experience.

Back