an alternative to skiing for kids winter holdiay

olivia

It is my 11-year-old daughters dream to go skiing but due to a slight disability which affects her balance she would not be able to ski. I promised her I would try to find a snow activity (my words) holiday where we could do things in the snow that doesn’t involve skiing. Does anyone know of such a holiday or where I might be able to source information?

Most resorts cover many different options to sking or snowboarding. There are so many activities you can do. Igloo making, skidoo rides, horse riding, sleigh rides, dog sled rides.
i've always meant to do the igloo thing but never got round to it. And if she's never been in real snow then what better than making a cool snow man?

Olivia

Add sledding / tobogganing to elefant's list - many ski resorts do have some runs for this - also would cross country skiiing be an option.

Be prepared for the fact that most winter sports resorts are very expensive - skiing or not

Have a look here
Havn't been here but know people who have. Very child orientated summer and winter alternative to sun /sea holiday

Check out http://www.chillfactore.com in Manchester for a cheaper alternative, lots of activities, one tubing see below might be what you're looking for:
Tubing
Its fast, its furious, its amazing fun!
Fancy something slightly gentler, but just as much fun? Tubing is perfect if you want a break from skiing or snowboarding; fancy taking to the slopes for a giggle or are holding a children’s party.
Slide down one of the two special tracks in a huge rubber ring. With two sizes for children and adults, it’s an ideal activity for all the family to enjoy together

Theres a special sit ski available in some resorts. Basically a disabled person sits in this chair and a professional steers it! I saw it in Sauze D'oulx, Italy...if she really wants the experience of skiing this would be it!

Back