An afternoon in Glasgow

bogwarrior

Hi,
Any suggestions of what one can do\see in Glasgow for 5 or 6 hours on a Saturday afternoon? I've a few hours to spare before a flight and was wondering if there's anything worth seeing ie castle, museums, markets, nice eating area etc. All I know about the place is the Ibrox-Parkhead-IKEA triumvirate - which I'll be doing my best to avoid...

Thanks

hi there

there is a area the locals love called byers road, in the westend you can hop on the underground,

there is a place called ashton lane is on a side street cobble locks and a load of lovely bars and restaurants, byers road is quite bohemian and nice shops like fopp the music store

no probs

meant to mention you get the underground just beside central station the main train station,

if in town at night check out bath street good local central street for real bars

friend who lives in glasgow sent me this info:
An alternative to the West End sophistication of Byres Road is to head to the East End for a warts and all look at the history of Glasgow in the People's Palace museum - a short walk from the city centre:
[broken link removed]
After a bit of history you can pop across the road to sample the delights of the newly opened West Brewing Company - an authentic German beer hall which brews all its beer on the premises. I haven't been yet but its getting rave reviews for both its beer and food:
http://www.westbeer.com/
If you're in Glasgow during the weekend and you're in the East End you could also experience the Glasgow institution that is the Barras market - tat heaven!
[broken link removed]