Amex Blue is dead - Dunnes now needs ID to use it

bobharris

Went in to Dunnes tonight. Whipped out the old American Express Blue card to get my 13 cents back and was told that they now require ID for all non chip cards.

The card is quite the pain the rear, you're always getting the "we don't accept that card" line and my chip mastercard is a lot easier to use. It put a few bob in my pocket once a year which is why I persisted.

My primary usage is at Dunnes, and I'm not going to produce ID every time I want to buy milk! I'll call Amex aka BOI tomorrow and give out stink but I'm sure it won't get me anywhere. I reckon I'll just cancel the card, which they probably want me to do anyhow.

American Express has been a dodgy card here for years ,not as universally accepted as Visa or Mastercard , got rid of mine years ago.

I'd be more inclined to kick up a stink with Dunnes, tbh. There's nothing about this on the IPSO website, [broken link removed].

Does any other Irish retailer impose such a requirement?

I know where I work, we don't accept Amex, only Visa/Mastercard/Laser.

That would really annoy me though, being asked for ID at every visit.

That would really annoy me though, being asked for ID at every visit.

As far as I recall, this was common practice the last time I was in Spain (I did not have a chip and PIN enabled card at the time AFAIK)

Are Amex the only credit card without Chip and PIN at this stage?

Taken from the Chip & Pin website.

Taken from the Amex website...
American Express now issues Chip and PIN enabled Cards. Signature cards continue to be in circulation however, for both American Express and other card issuers.
If the Card does not have a chip, or if your point of sale terminal has not been upgraded and certified by American Express to process chip cards, swipe the magnetic stripe and follow the instructions. Please ensure the signature of the Cardmember is valid, when compared with the signature on the card.

i came across this all the time when i was in canada. maybe they are thinking about having the same system here. tbh, this is a pain. they make it harder and harder for people to do anything these days.