American tour company Recommendations

nad

Could anyone recommend a good tour company that does tour's taking in New york , the east coast and up into Canada,the Niagara fall's and back to New york,Hoping to book flight's independently.

My parents have used the Travel Department a couple of times for organised tours and have been on one to the US. They haven't had a bad experience yet

I've used tour america a few times , they are very difficult to get hold of over the phone. They are really nice - never had a problem with them

Dont know if this will suit, but considering the exchange rate is tremendous, have you ever considerend just renting a car from ny and driving up?
Driving in upstate new york in particular is relatively stress free (im from ny by the way) and if you have the time to spare, it'd be a blast really. It's a fairly long drive from nyc to niagra, but there are ways to break it up: its cheap on the bus (greyhound) to get to albany, rochester, buffalo) and then rent a car.
part of the fun of the states is driving to be honest.
cant recommend any tour operators, but if you want something a bit different, there's always a way (my opinion anyway)

Agree with the above post, if you want something a bit different, rent a car and do it yourself. That way you'll see what you want, when you want. And half the fun is planning it.

My parents have used the Travel Department a couple of times for organised tours and have been on one to the US. They haven't had a bad experience yet

I did one of their tours to the U.S and I felt as if I was living on a coach. The hotels used were very poor and our particular American based tour guide was terrible. The itinerary was changed also and we were only told of this at the last minute. A few of the attractions that we were to visit were really only toilet stops getting from A to B. It was reasonably priced however but if I was doing it again I would make my own way then I could choose where, when and for how long I wanted to stop.

The advantage of going on a tour is that if you're time is limited, you don't have to worry about finding your way around.
If it's a good tour operator you know your itinerary & you generally get to skip the queues in some of the main tourist sights.
Yes, you do spend time on a coach but if the guide is good you get to hear interesting background info on the journey.

If time was unlimited sure I'd like to make my own way & stop when I wished etc. Yes, planning can be part of the fun but it's different strokes for different folks & after being on a few tours I find them a wonderful way to see a country. You can relax & look out the window when en route as opposed to checking to see if you're on the right road ...

Other thing is that you can get to stay in good hotels for a lot cheaper than the going rate. Must be group discount I presume.