American Playstation games

C

christine

Moving to Ireland soon and I know the kids Playstation will not work there and hopefully we will be able to find another, question is will their games from the USA work on the Irish Playstation Systems? Thanks much.

Tough luck the American games will not play on a machine bought for the European market the games have been coded to play on machines destined for the market in which the games are bought if this wasn't done we could all get cheaper games and hardware from the states :(

You could get a NTSC compatible TV and a 220v-120v convertor. This will allow you to use the American PS you have and the games also. NTSC compatible TVs are widely available in Ireland to the best of my knowledge but a quick check with any Irish based retailed such as DID or powercity will confirm this for you. (www.did.ie or www.powercity.ie) The power convertor is also easy to get here.

Almost any newish TV here can handle NTSC.

Have to say though that unless you have LOTS of games (and the kids still play them) using a voltage converter is a lot of hassle. Many of these things use power even when the connected appliance is switched off so you have to remember to unplug the converter all the time or your electricity bills quickly negate the "saving." Plus you'll need an Irish playstation to play the games you buy here! (You could just buy US games from cdwow or somewhere but you can get the PAL versions for the same price or similar usually.)

My advice would be bite the bullet unless you can't live without your old games. Or sell your old games over there (ebay is great for getting rid or stuff!) and buy second-hand replacements over here.

Thank you much for your information, greatly appreciated.

Back