American immigration

M

mercury8

Not sure what forum to post this one on as I am new to ask about money.

I lived in the states, new york for 3 years +, worked there all the time but got caught leaving the country through a security check. I was never told I was banned, but got given out to and my passport was taken for about 15 mins. Anyone else have a similar experience or how to find out what my status is to re-enter (just for a holiday). I am aware overstaying to that point is a 10 year ban but I didn't get official notice of such?

Did they cancel your visa? or did you even need a visa?
What`s the story now.....do irish citizens need visas to go on hols to u.s.?
You could ask the u.s. embassy but then again you might only be alerting them.
Easiest thing is to go thru`the immigration process in the irish pre flight /board airport.....that way if the screens start flashing warning signals.....you won`t end up in an orange boiler suit;)
The problem with being rumbled at a u.s. airport is you wouldn`t receive any sympathy and be treated as a security risk..probably tossed in jail while someone tries to sort you out.And from reports of some irish illegals that could be weeks or months.

I would have to say that you are quite unlikely to be able to enter the USA on the Visa Waiver Program ever again. This program strictly states that you may not under any circumstances stay longer than 90 days. This is what most Irish citizens go through when entering the country. If I recall correctly, if you have ever been denied entry to the USA or outstayed a previous visit, you must get a visa which invloves a hell of a lot of red tape particularly if you have had previous problems.

I lived in the states, new york for 3 years +, worked there all the time
What sort of visa did you enter on? How long was it valid for? Was it valid for work? When did this happen? Where are you now? Why not contact the US embassy in Ireland to clarify your status?

I am sure the OP was working illegally from the tone of the post.

If your passport was confiscated for 15 mins I would be almost certain your details were entered in the computer and would be flagged the next time you present at a US immigration facility.

You might get away with it - but I wouldn't leave it to chance. Best to apply for a visa at the embassy.

Back