American Express Corporate Card

cathal79

Hi,
I received a letter today from a debt management agency looking for money for a sterling amex corporate card I had with a company I left last march. The majority of the amount is for car fuel etc and work expenses with a minimal for personal stuff.

This is the first I have heard about it since leaving the company in March 08 when I returned my card with expenses claim to my manager. I had been unable to pay the amex as it was in sterling GBP and none of the banks would accept payment for it.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I am wondering if I am actually liable to pay this. It is not listed on my ICB (Irish Credit Bureau report).

My employer is UK based and so is the debt management agency.

I got ripped off with my last commission payout from the company so to be honest I don't want to pay it. Just wondering what legal standing they have.

Your advice would greatly be appreciated.

I have always found the corporate AMEX a bit misleading as they can operate exactly like a personal charge card. The contract is between the individual and the card provider. If this is the case with your card, then your commission payments are not really relevant as they do not have anything to do with AMEX to whom you owe money.

If they were really interested in getting this money from you, they could pursue a legal route. The other consideration is if a future employer of yours uses the same AMEX service, they may be unwilling to deal with you which could be professionally embarassing.

Hi,
I received a letter today from a debt management agency looking for money for a sterling amex corporate card I had with a company I left last march. The majority of the amount is for car fuel etc and work expenses with a minimal for personal stuff.

This is the first I have heard about it since leaving the company in March 08 when I returned my card with expenses claim to my manager. I had been unable to pay the amex as it was in sterling GBP and none of the banks would accept payment for it.
Ah come on, you gotta try a bit harder than that. How did you pay this account before? Presumably, they will accept a GBP cheque or draft by post?

Have you been paid for the outstanding fuel/expenses? Have you raised your problem with the commission payment with them?

When I used to have an Irish Amex corporate card, it was 'jointly and severally liable', so the bank could go after either the employer or the employee for the full amount.

You owe the debt so you should pay it. If the company didn't pay you commission properly you should sue them. That said I believe the company is liable for the debts on the corporate card but you are under an obligation to your old company to pay the debt particularly as they have presumable reimbursed you. It should be in the terms and conditions of your use of a corporate card. Also most companies do not allow personal debt on corporate cards, surely you think you are at least liable for this. In any case when you left the company did you not check what was owing on the credit card. I too do not understand why you couldn't pay the bill just because it was in sterling.

Back