American Express Card

Ireland.1

I applied for an American Express card some weeks ago and complied with all information required by them to make a decision on the card.

After giving them quite a lot of documentation I was declined yet they have left it open for me to re-apply again.

Why bother leaving it open if they have declined my application in the first place?

Has anybody else had a simular experience with them?

Why bother when their cards are not accepted as widely as Visa and Mastercard?

Others have said the same to me too! I suppose I was just looking for some extra flexibility.

It amused me the amount of information they required to process the application yet at the last minute declined.

Aw well I suppose its just another sign of the times . . .

Recently, American Express have been reducing credit limits and offering some cardholders incentives to close their accounts. They just dont have the ability to extend the amount of credit they used to. In addition, American Express have always been very picky about who they open accounts for.

I used to have the Blue card. I cancelled it as most online stores dont accept american express. A pretty useless payment card if you ask me.

I have an American Express Card and I prefer it as it's not a traditional credit card as you have to pay the bill once you receive it. There are also very helpful and the statements are very easy to read. My mastercard (for Ryanair) has a much more complex layout as if trying to mislead on the repayment amount. I invariable prepay it/upload it.

when I applied for AmEx they wrote to my bank looking for a credit reference, and I was only made aware of this when the a/c manager at the Bankcentre called me, even the lady was shocked as to the extent of the info they were requesting. I told them not to send the information and cancelled my application. I would suggest getting an AIB Platinum card, you get .5% back and its Visa, AmEx is not really accepted in Ireland as far as I know anyway.

Kimmage, I agree that the amount of documentation they required was surreal. Even after the bank had given them the credit reference they still required further paper work.

They said the c.r my bank had given them still wasn't sufficient enough for them to make a decision on my application so they requested more bank statements . . . and then to be finally told your application was declined.

All a wild goose case for nothing.

Sorry to hear about that after all that trouble!

I wouldn’t take it personal, I would say they are refusing more than they grant, with the “R”

J

Have Amex for over 20 years. The criteria then was home ownership. But I must admit it is pretty useless here in Ireland. However, it is widely used across the Atlantic.