AMD Turion 64 x 2 vs Intel Core 2 Duo?

Caili

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new laptop and am so confused I don't know which one to buy. Which is better, AMD Turion 64 x 2 or Intel Core 2 Duo? I want 2-3GB Ram & 160+ GB HD, that's about all I know. Its just for basic internet, email, photos & music. I'll spend €550-€600 max. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

If its basic applications then the processor is probably academic (VISTA arguements aside) and as much memory as you can afford the key.

Consider the screen size, weight, battery life, no of ports, integrated web cam etc. Hard less important now as they are generally a decent size and external discs are cheap.

I concur, having recently purchased a laptop and come to the same conclusion. I think the amount of Ram will make more difference than the processor, so 2GB or more as you write should be great.

Check how much memory costs on http://www.crucial.com/eu/ once you decide on a model.
I bought the 1GB model & upgraded it to 4GB myself for €62 (minus €12 I then sold the 1GB module for!).