AMD Dual Core V's Intel Core Duo

pennypincher

I'm in the process of reviewing laptops on the Dell website.From reading other posts I'll definately be sticking with XP for the moment,and found out I can request Dell to install this over Vista.There's a big difference in price between Intel and AMD dual core processors and I'm just wondering if I will really notice it.I've seen Tomshardware benchmarks etc and I know the Intel is faster but I'll only be surfing and burning a few MP3s/Photos etc.Anyone have AMD dual core and happy with Speed etc

....but I'll only be surfing and burning a few MP3s/Photos etc.Anyone have AMD dual core and happy with Speed etc

I doubt you'll notice it for light use if its decent dual core AMD. One thing to note is that the Intel dual core are a bit easier on battery life than the AMD's. If you were more specific about which one you are looking people could advise better.

I've been looking at them myself. But I'd have to say looking for the min spec I'd consider buying. Between these two.

Inspiron 6400 with 1GB/60B/DVDRW HD = €579
Inspiron 1501 with 1GB/80B/DVDRW HD = €599

I'd go with the 6400, especially since many of the Inspiron 1501 only have a 90 day warranty. On the reviews I read the concensus was that the 1501 is ok, but its not that much cheaper to warranty buying it over a 6400. Avoid the Sempron though its noticeably slower.

if you get a really good deal on a 1501 on the outlet or on the web site then I consider one. Check out...

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3359&review=Dell+Inspiron+1501
www.notebookforums.com

Thanks the one I was looking at was the Inspiron 1501 it was 809Euro now it's 679 Euro.120 G hard drive...the one beside it looks the same but has a smaller hard drive....what do you think?I know Aldi are selling one this week but although they are highly speced they tend to be around 800Euro but you get 3 year warranty.By the way I think it's law that you have to get a minimum of 1 Year guarentee...it's just they won't pay for postage...I think...!

Its ok, not amazing or anything. But not a bad deal. You often get a lot cheaper on the outlet. Do some shopping around and see what you can get for 700. never used them myself but LaptopsDirect.ie are another option.

There are lots of really detailed hardware review sites out there that will give you the detailed technical lowdown on how different processors (e.g. different dual or multi-core processors) compare.

Back