Am living abroad now, but trying to clear irish credit card - Help!

P

Pokemon17

Hi,
I am currently living overseas (am originally from Dublin) and owe approximately 4k on my irish credit card. I always pay the minimum payment and usually an extra 100 euro per month too, but it seems to be taking forever to come down as they still add interest each month. I am on a BOI credit card with an interest rate of 21%. Do you think I should ring BOI and maybe try and arrange a personal loan to pay off the credit card? Also we do have our house still in Dublin that is rented out, and was also considering maybe contacting PTSB to change us to interest free for about six months so I could get the credit card paid off, my only concern with that is that we are on a tracker 2.25% mortgage and am concerned that they might change my tracker rate if I do this. Has anyone any advice for me.
Thanks in advance.

Do you still use the CC?
If not I would write to the CC company ie BOI and explain to them that you have left the country and that you have ceased using the card. Ask them to freeze the balance and commit to pay a specific amount per month.
Can you cut back anywhere else to make up some of the money?
Is the only reason you want to go on interest only so as you can clear the CC? If so if you do the above and have balance frozen you won't need to and you can continue to pay down on the capital.

Back