Am I overexposed to equities, property and cash ?

Dummy101

Hi,

Spouse Age: 51
Children: 1, Age 17 with 2 years remaining in secondary school and hopefully college after that for 4 or 5 years.

I cut back from a demanding and stressful job about a year ago paying €150K per year due to long hours. I now work 2 days a week on a contract basis which pays €600 per day. This contract role now grosses about €60k per year based on a two day week. The company I contract with has indicated that they wish to continue rolling over my contract on an annual basis.

My spouse is a full time mother and does not currently work outside the home.

The following is our financial status:
Own Home Value €800,000, no mortgage.

Buy to Let Investments :
Property 1:
Value €300,000
Mortgage €43,000 remaining over 5 years. Monthly Repayment €850 (including insurance)
Monthly Rent: €1,300

Property 2:
Value €230,000
Mortgage €0
Monthly Rent:€1,900 net of management fees

Property 3:
Value €250,000
Mortgage €0
Monthly Rent: €1,800 net of management fees

Total unearned income from invetsment property, after tax would be approximately €3,000 per month.

The above valuations are very conservative, may be worth an additional +10% in the current strong market.
All properties have been recently refurbished and no known repair jobs due, they are located in areas of strong rental demand with a good spread between private sector and public sector (near hospital, university and large established industrial estate).

AMRF (Pension Value): €700,000
49% Equities​
42% Fixed Interest​
5% Cash​
4% Property​

Additional Cash (savings) In Bank €530,000... earning nothing, concerned about puting a large deposit amount into a non-bricks and mortar / digital bank.

2 x Cars with combined value of about €70,000, neither of which need to be updated for the next 3 or 4 years hopefully. Expect to retain just 1 car after next 3 or 4 years. No loans or outstanding finance.

Apart from €43K owing on 1 investment property, no other loans or finance.

Credit Cards are normally paid off each month.

My concern is that with almost 50% of my AMRF in equities, and with 3 x rental properties, I am already quite exposed to both equities and property despite most of the property producing income. As, my current contract role does not allow me to actively trade stocks and shares, while I understand P/E ratios, I don't actively follow the markets so consider myself as having negligable knowledge of this domain. My comfort zone is to go and purchase another rental property (with all the risks that exposes us to…. have been dealing with tenant and PRTB issues for more than 10 years so am well versed in the risks before anyone responds in all caps).

I am focused on quitting contract work next year (simply fed up paying such high rates of tax on hard earned income). Have plenty of non work related hobbies, interests and friends. However, I need a level of replacement income from other sources rather than just depleting cash saving before dipping into the AMRF.

We are very fortunate to have a large cash balance in savings built up, but this is effectively loosing ground rather than generating income. Neither my spouse nor I come from a wealthy background, so the thought of not having sufficient income coming in does not sit comfortably with either of us. My strong preference is to stop contracting completely as soon as finically feasible (this is something I really want to do), and am happy to continue actively managing the few rental properties we already own, or to add another one.

Our estimated monthly expense is €6,500, approx. €80K per year.

Prefer to leave the AMRF grow for the next 6+ years and not touch it.

I would be grateful for your opinions on what is a realistic investment to divert some of the cash savings balance so that it is income producing, or as a safety position.

Thank you

You’re an experienced landlord, no need to change that.

Your earnings are reduced so difficult to redirect savings into pension wrapper but you should do what you can there…. suspect you need advice from an expert, I think you can pretty much shove the 2x600 a week into pension if you’re a company director, eliminating (or at least reducing) your tax bill. Also, make sure you have used your full AVC allowance for last year.

Other than that, I think you’re viewing your equity risk too conservatively, probably a little fearful of an imminent fall in equity values but I would say your portfolio is under-exposed to equities at less than 20% of your ~1.9m portfolio. Your time horizon is hopefully a good 30-40 years, you’d have a low withdrawal rate due to rental income, leaving plenty invested to enjoy a recovery if a dip/crash happens in the near future. You are already diversified via property.

In short, well done on accumulating all you need to go retire early and enjoy life. But that cash pile is a missed opportunity - you are more, not less, likely to deplete your portfolio by not having more equity exposure imo.

Summary
Home: €800k
3 investment properties: €750k
Cash: €530k
Pension fund: €700k
total : €2.5m

Equities are €350k or 14% of your assets. Way too low.

Cash and fixed interest are about €850k

1) So the first thing to do is probably clear the mortgage on your investment property. It won't make much difference overall, but I like tidying stuff up.

2) The next thing is to invest the cash in something - either property or shares but definitely not cash or fixed interest.

3) It's clear that you are overexposed to property and so you should be investing the cash and fixed interest in shares.

My comfort zone is to go and purchase another rental property (with all the risks that exposes us to…. have been dealing with tenant and PRTB issues for more than 10 years so am well versed in the risks before anyone responds in all caps).

This is the big problem. People buy a house and it goes up in value. They buy an investment property because they "know property" and it goes up in value. The property is not repriced by the market every day. Shares are volatile. The market tells you that although you had €1m in shares yesterday, today it's worth €980k so you have "lost" €20k.

But over the long term, shares should outperform property.
But even if it doesn't, you should be backing two horses and not just one horse, no matter how good you think that horse is.

If property does outperform shares over the term of your investment horizon, you are going to do well anyway, because you have so much property.
And if equities outperform, you will be glad you diversified.

So invest the €850k in equities.

You’re an experienced landlord, no need to change that.

Your earnings are reduced so difficult to redirect savings into pension wrapper but you should do what you can there…. suspect you need advice from an expert, I think you can pretty much shove the 2x600 a week into pension if you’re a company director, eliminating (or at least reducing) your tax bill. Also, make sure you have used your full AVC allowance for last year.

Other than that, I think you’re viewing your equity risk too conservatively, probably a little fearful of an imminent fall in equity values but I would say your portfolio is under-exposed to equities at less than 20% of your ~1.9m portfolio. Your time horizon is hopefully a good 30-40 years, you’d have a low withdrawal rate due to rental income, leaving plenty invested to enjoy a recovery if a dip/crash happens in the near future. You are already diversified via property.

In short, well done on accumulating all you need to go retire early and enjoy life. But that cash pile is a missed opportunity - you are more, not less, likely to deplete your portfolio by not having more equity exposure imo.
Food for thought. Thank you for taking the time to repond.

day. Shares are volatile. The market tells you that although you had €1m in shares yesterday, today it's worth €980k so you have "lost" €20k.
Shares are alot more volatile than that, during the COVID sell off 30-% was wiped off share valuations in. the space of a month, I know my portfolio dropped by more. Especially in the modern era you need to be prepared for alot more volatility due to the speed of computer algorithms selling pressure. However it also works the other way, some of the biggest stock market gains were made following that sell off, so anybody that sold missed out on the rebounds

Shares are alot more volatile than that, during the COVID sell off 30-% was wiped off share valuations in. the space of a month, I know my portfolio dropped by more. Especially in the modern era you need to be prepared for alot more volatility due to the speed of computer algorithms selling pressure. However it also works the other way, some of the biggest stock market gains were made following that sell off, so anybody that sold missed out on the rebounds
If people were able to live with volatility, that is where money can be made. My fund dropped from 183k down to 142k during covid. It recovered and was up at 209k 2 months ago. Dropped again to 193k and is now sitting back at 205k today!

Once you were able to sit through the COVID sell off you should be ok with volatility. The financial crash didn't phase me but the COVID sell off did, it was the sheer speed of it. Russia and Saudi Arabia started a trade war and collapsed the oil price aswell, that's long forgotten now of course

Summary
Home: €800k
3 investment properties: €750k
Cash: €530k
Pension fund: €700k
total : €2.5m

Equities are €350k or 14% of your assets. Way too low.

Cash and fixed interest are about €850k

1) So the first thing to do is probably clear the mortgage on your investment property. It won't make much difference overall, but I like tidying stuff up.

2) The next thing is to invest the cash in something - either property or shares but definitely not cash or fixed interest.

3) It's clear that you are overexposed to property and so you should be investing the cash and fixed interest in shares.

This is the big problem. People buy a house and it goes up in value. They buy an investment property because they "know property" and it goes up in value. The property is not repriced by the market every day. Shares are volatile. The market tells you that although you had €1m in shares yesterday, today it's worth €980k so you have "lost" €20k.

But over the long term, shares should outperform property.
But even if it doesn't, you should be backing two horses and not just one horse, no matter how good you think that horse is.

If property does outperform shares over the term of your investment horizon, you are going to do well anyway, because you have so much property.
And if equities outperform, you will be glad you diversified.

So invest the €850k in equities.
Thank you for this break down and assessment Brendan. Points well made. I need to take a little time now to consider.
Do I assume your wife is paying tax on the rental income and therefore Class S PRSI? Just so she gets as much state pension entitlement as possible.
Yes, thank you for this important point. As the rental income exceeds €5K per year, our return which is performed on our behalf by an accountant factors her PRSI contributions accordingly. However, I must apply for her contribution summary, just to be sure that is has been correctly recorded. Great point.

Back