Am i entitled to see this under data protection act

ClaireM

We recently moved out of a rented house. The landlord is refusing to return our deposit. He claims the letting agent has said that house was disgusting, flithy and the worst they had ever seen!!!!

I am disputing this and have a note from my weekly cleaner, photos of the house taken during the period of occupation etc.

They say the letting agent was unable to show the house to preospective tenants because of the flith. I can disprove this as we facilitated 3 viewings while we were still in the property.

I am however extremely offended at the suggestion that I was raising my family in squalor. Our house was kept clean. Very clean. I damp dust and mop every day because my daughter has asthma.

Am i entitled to see any report/letter or similar that the letting agent gave the landlord about this under the Data Protection act?

I'm not a lawyer of any description, but if I'm reading the Data Protection Commissioner's website correctly, I think you'd have a fair case to get a copy of information the letting agent has about you.

[broken link removed].

We recently moved out of a rented house. The landlord is refusing to return our deposit. He claims the letting agent has said that house was disgusting, flithy and the worst they had ever seen!!!!

I am disputing this and have a note from my weekly cleaner, photos of the house taken during the period of occupation etc.

They say the letting agent was unable to show the house to preospective tenants because of the flith. I can disprove this as we facilitated 3 viewings while we were still in the property.

I am however extremely offended at the suggestion that I was raising my family in squalor. Our house was kept clean. Very clean. I damp dust and mop every day because my daughter has asthma.

Am i entitled to see any report/letter or similar that the letting agent gave the landlord about this under the Data Protection act?

Simply put, yes you are.

It sounds like sharp practice on the agent's or landlords behalf, probably both combined to keep the deposit. I would write a letter to both asking them what evidence they have of the house not being in a clean condition when you left. The fact that 3 people viewed it while you were there is proof that the house was clean but do you know who the 3 people were? Did you take pictures when you left? Maybe you need to take it up with the PRTB and they could give you better advice.

Back