Alternatives to an AIB Maestro Card

geecee

Hi All
The AIB cancelled my Banklink card 2 weeks ago and now insist that I must use their Maestro Laser card instead

Trouble is the Maestro card is so slow in coping with overseas transactions

When i had my Banklink card any ATM transactions that i carried out abroad would immediately be posted to my 24 hour banking account for me to review

Since i have switchd to Maestro it takes days for transations to appear in my internet banking. eg. Transactions carried out last sunday in Thailand still not posted to my Internet bank account.

This is especially annoying when withdrawing money overseas as overseas ATMs frequently abort transactions and it is neccessary to check that the transaction has been reversed correctly

Apparently this is because transactions must be sent from overseas ATM to the Overseas Bank on to Maestro and on to the AIB. Previously they would be sent directly to AIB

Can anyone suggest an alternative bank that i can move to where I can view my transactions online instantly?
Thanks in Advance

This isnt just with overseas transactions.

Its taking up to 3 or 4 days for some transactions to appear since i was forcibly changed over. i am NOT a happy camper. time was you could keep an accurate account by checking aib 24 hour online, now im afraid to withdraw cash or make payments to different accounts until a couple of days have passed or i have used an AIB ATM machine.

Is there any way around this? is everyone else suffering the same problems?

Yes I have the same problem too, not sure how to combat it unless you just withdraw money and pay with cash. Obviously this will not work for internet transactions.

I think its an absolute joke, when they replaced the old cards, they should have replaced the service like for like. I will be contacting them about this but doubt very much if it will go anywhere.

but on the plus side...

1-at least AIB will give you a Maestro, try getting on from BOI and see if they say yes!

2-AIBs internet banking now allows the user to view both the available balance and the balance, when I lodge a cheque it appears in the balance, but not in the available balance. (home page + individual statement)

as far as i know, the laser transaction doesnt come out of your account until the shop takes the money. thats why it takes a few days to go through. it is a disaster when you dont know what you'v actually got left to spend! i guess we just have to keep closer tabs on what we have and what we spent. lived in france for a while and its all cards, very little cash there, so i guess we just have to get used to it!

Can be a little annoying when the available balance and actual balance are different for a while. I forgot about a certain laser transaction I carried out and the actual and available balances were different for over a week. (during the period I had a good few transactions so was a clear case)

So I rang AIB and all they could say was it was a laser transaction!! Nothing more. Can be a little frustrating.

hi all the banks are combining the atm with laser as I moved from aib to ulster and they have done the same thing so it's laser all the way...