Alternative Wooden Floor

bantragh

I propose to buy ordinary planks of red deal in Woodies for instance, have someone in to lay them on the floor and paint/varnish them. Would anyone kindly tell me whether this is to be recommended as a way to beat the costs of wooden flooring? Ta

I propose to buy ordinary planks of red deal in Woodies for instance, have someone in to lay them on the floor and paint/varnish them. Would anyone kindly tell me whether this is to be recommended as a way to beat the costs of wooden flooring? Ta

First buy it in your local builders providers as woodies would be more expensive due to the packaging they have them in.

Red deal will shrink quite a bit so be prepared for that, also the cost of sanding and varnishing can outweight the savings. Red deal may cost 10 sq m unfinished whereas you could get prefinished (french) pine for around the 20 per sq m.

We have done exactly this in new 40 sq metre extension and it looks fab, everyone keeps saying so too when they visit. Has not shrunk yet and its been varnished about 10 weeks. very durable and will last for ages. much cheaper in the long run and because its quite pale if I want a change in years I can sand and revarnish in darker shades! Did it in the bathroom when we over in as original boards had awful sticky vinyl had ruined them. Coated then in yaght varnish and they ar still great 4 years later.

Very happy with result as we have ordinary boards sanded and varsished in the rest of the house and they match in really well.
Good luck.

Hope this helps
Muffin

I would not reccomend buying red deal from a DIY shed. Ofthen the timeber is packaged in celophane and when you take off the packaging it twists horribly.
As already sugested go to a builders providers, and rather than buying simple planks get floorborads which have tongue and groove on them.

Also you should consider varnishing both sides before laying them which will reduce the risk of them cupping.

HTH

I used deal for a garage conversion about 7 years ago. Can't remember if it is red or white deal - think it's red. Anyway over the years it shrunk significantly - there are gaps about 3 or 4mm between almost every plank. Also the timber is soft and will take indents from furniture, knocks, etc quite easily. I don't mind because it kids playroom but wouldn't use it for more public place.

Back