Alternative wedding venue - HELP!

murray

Hi there !

A collegue plans to get married this Summer .

What I would like advice on is; Names of your favourite lovely country pub (anywhere in Ireland) that would be perfect for a wedding reception -

preferably with a lovely 'Ballykissangel' type setting as they will only need a blessing (they will have a civil wedding to get the certificate a few days before on their own)

Plan is not to have the traditional church, hotel, full meal , disco & band.

But instead an outside 'blessing' at 5pm ish(that can be done anywhere at all as they will technically be married already) then to a 'quaint' pub on a Saturday (late afternoon) for drinks, party and trad session (she has musicians attending wedding) The food (could be a BBQ, caterers with substantial 'nibbles' all evening , posh buffet) could be done by pub or caterers. Numbers approx 120.

All suggestions really appreciated !!
Thanks in advance!:)

McCormacks in Balscadden - a few miles from Balbriggan - is my local. Warm, traditional feel to the place, but they have a decent size lounge that could possibly be reserved. They're actually putting in kitchens etc at the moment which would be handy too. They have a nice beer garden out front (just across the road really, but it's nicely enclosed by shrubbery) which could be used for the outdoor blessing - the garden is overlooked by the church there which I'd imagine would add to the feel of the occasion.

What part of the country would you want this pub to be?

Anywhere in Ireland:)
----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks conor mc - will look into it !
-----------------------------------------------------------
keep 'em comin' folks !:)

how about morans osyter cottage in kilcolgan/clarinbridge.? had great outdoor crack there one year before :eek: and after wedding and was almost sorry to have to go to the reception proper.

There are some really nice places I've seen around the Cooley/Omeath/ Carlingford areas- I just don't know any of the names!
Maybe someone can help...sorry that's a bit useless :D

How about Houghs in Banagher, Co. Offaly. This place is certainly different. I dont know if they do food. You could take a cruise on the shannon and pay Houghs a visit.

how about morans osyter cottage in kilcolgan/clarinbridge.? had great outdoor crack there one year before :eek: and after wedding and was almost sorry to have to go to the reception proper.
Spent the day after a wedding here and it was fantastic

Spent the day after a wedding here and it was fantastic

Thanks a million , I will certainly look into these suggestions.:)
A few friends have mentioned places in Gaway , Connemara etc also - will investigate also !

Burkes in Clonbur, Co Galway - fab food! Beautiful lakes and loads of accommodation in area for guests all within walking distance.

Shirley's Pub in Kells Co Kilkenny - they do great barbacues - The Riordans was filmed there.

Both in lovely quaint villages!

Jack Meades in Faithlegg in Waterford - great barbacues also!

Imagine all the fun you will have in visiting all these places! Enjoy!

Back