Alternative to Ulster Bank credit card

deco87

Have an Ulsterbank bank credit card for years- other than the government tax it’s fine for what I need - I regularly put funds into it by bank transfer from my credit union every so often - that and use it all the time for “ tap” daily - no additional charges for doing this-

is there a similar card that allows me to use it as above with no fees ?
thanks
D

Have an Ulsterbank bank credit card for years- other than the government tax it’s fine for what I need - I regularly put funds into it by bank transfer from my credit union every so often - that and use it all the time for “ tap” daily - no additional charges for doing this-

is there a similar card that allows me to use it as above with no fees ?
thanks
D
Revolut.

You are using it like a debit card.

Why not use the debit card with your ordinary bank account?

Or is the credit union your main bank account?

Brendan

You are using it like a debit card.

Why not use the debit card with your ordinary bank account?

Or is the credit union your main bank account?

Brendan
Thanks Brendan - interesting - can get a debit card ok - I find it handier with the credit card as I use it all the time and occasionally on bigger items - find it handy to have the available credit - have it 20 years - never failed to pay it off - in time -
I’d be concerned with a few bills coming in to the current account together - finding myself under a bit of pressure - having the bit of instant credit is handy.
Presume the government fee applies to debit card ? I use the credit union as a current account too for years - no charges whatsoever - got fed up with bank changes 15 years ago - CU - does same job - no fees - thanks for reply

To avoid transaction charges.
Credit cards don't charge for individual transactions, and so long as you pay on-time you effectively get close to free banking.
Spot on - tap hundreds of times a month ! No charges - want to try stay that way ! Thanks

Perfect - they give you say - 1000 or 2000 credit - without too much hassle and pay off in time - no charges ?
No. It's not a credit card. You'd need to prepay the card.

You can't avoid the government stamp duty with credit cards.

What age are you? You might qualify for free banking.

Lol not for a while - think I’ll just wait and see what Ulster have in plans - Maybe just end up with similar on their advice ! Thanks

The avant card seems easy straight forward to apply for - I think it’s the case once you can prove you paid the government fee once they can’t apply it twice over the 12 months ?

For credit cards take a look at AIB, Avant & KBC. They all offer some form of cashback for transactions. Depending on your usage the cashback could easily offset the stamp duty on the card

I’m going to change shortly - want to be able to use Apple Pay @ Iwatch tap -for transactions - what’s this cash back exactly - never go over credit limit - want to be able to lodge to it from my current account ( cr - union) thks

If you pay off you card each month then a card with cashback should suit you. Both accounts below should have no problem with transfers from credit unions.

AIB will give you 0.5% of spending back. Up to €225 per year
https://aib.ie/our-products/credit-cards/platinum-visa-card check out the rewards section. Min €40k salary according to website.

Avant offer 1.25% back. Up to €12 per month

Neither will make you a millionaire but every cent helps. The way I look at it anything back can helpfully offset some or all of the government stamp duty on credit cards.

I'm also shopping around for a credit card, in advance of KBC exiting (they may sell their credit card book but I'd prefer to control this myself, and not be without a card in case they just close our accounts and every other supplier is inundated).

Avant seem ok. Their cashback excludes some merchant categories allowed by KBC (e.g. utility payments).
1627571742815.png

Also, Avant's foreign exchange fee seems high at 2.65% - although they are at least using the reference Mastercard currency exchange rates.

Last edited:
I have an Ulster Bank Credit Card. Do you think that when Ulster Bank closes it's branch network that they will also close their credit card accounts?

I always understood that a person's credit card account had nothing to do with a person's current account.
This seems to be a way by the Ulster Bank to force people to have online banking with their current account.

You should be able to have the security app attached to your credit card account without having the need for online banking on your current account.

They are separate accounts.

Back