Alternative airlines for Dublin-LA route?

Staples

It's been announced that with effect from November, Aer Lingus is to suspend its LA service.

Are there any other airlines that fly from Dublin to LA direct? If so, what's been the experience?

Thanks

There are no other airlines which service Los Angeles to Dublin direct. Aer Lingus recently launched the San Francisco (SFO) service. SFO is a hub for United Airlines (though they do have a hub at LA?) with whom Aer Lingus have recently launched a partnership for code-sharing etc. The suspension of the LA service is about forcing as much west coast US traffic into United's hub at SFO.

Unfortunately Aer Lingus will lose money on this because most of the traffic going to LA is origin and destination traffic i.e. most if not all passengers on a regular Dublin to LA flight will have LA as their final destination. Forcing them to now connect at SFO will mean people will be inconvenienced, people will look for quicker alternatives to flying to LA from Dublin.

I'm sure in the near future you'll be able to buy a through-ticket from Dublin to LA via San Francisco on Aer Lingus. However once we get over this economic hump I'd expect some other airline to take up some of the demand for an LA service. Remember there are is a lot of bug business demand in the south west US, airlines make all of their profits from business travellers not cattle down the back.

Your best bets for LA would be to avoid Heathrow and fly either with Air France via Paris or KLM via Amsterdam.

We gave up flying Aer Lingus years ago and fly Delta to the US. For LA I would connect in Atlanta. At least that way you still clear immigration in Ireland. If you go to Heathrow or other European airports you have to queue for immigration on arrival in the U S.

Totally agree with shesells. Atlanta is a great hub & queuing for immigration in the states is a pain. Much easier to get it out of the way here. I nearly missed my connection last year when passing through LAX via Heathrow.

If you're changing in Atlanta, does you luggage get checked through to your destination or do you have to check it in a second time? On DUB - LHR - LAX, the luggage is checked in once per flight.

Anytime I fly DUB -> LAX, I'd prefer to connect somewhere and fly Virgin than go near Aer Lingus. It's always been LHR though and it's always very tight

Again , I would recommend Atlanta. You do not have to recheck your baggage but you do have to clear it through US Customs. Its simply just a matter of taking your bag from the carousel , walking through Customs with it and then handing it to the agent on the other side who will have it transferred to your connecting flight for you.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Seems like getting to LA just got a whole lot longer and more complicated.