Altercation with Dart officials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in that case you can hardly make a complaint. If it was impossible to purchase a ticket it was a different story.

Why not? Herself and 2 other people could not use the machine. It was not clear how to process the payment. The fault here does lie with the machine/machine instructions not with the OP.

Why not? Herself and 2 other people could not use the machine. It was not clear how to process the payment. The fault here does lie with the machine/machine instructions not with the OP.
But if every other DART customer can use the machine?

I agree with Casiopea. If Iarnrod Eireann are going to get all draconian and 'zero tolerance' about purchasing tickets, then there should be someone on hand, manning the ticket office and available to assist people who can't use the machines.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I wasn't talking about someone standing there permanently, but just someone generally available, either at the ticket office or at a customer service desk who could deal with any complaints or queries about the machines. Either that, or be a bit more flexible and allow people to purchase their ticket on the train.

so you want IE to start hiring additional people to allow idiots who aren't able to use a ticket machine to buy their ticket on the train? nonsense.

as complainer stated thousands of people are able to use the ticket machines every day without a problem, the OP then decides to not give her address to the ticket inspector which she is required to do under the bye-laws. while not condoning the alleged over-reaction of the Inspector I can understand that his patience may have been tried when being told a lie - which the OP has now admitted, there was nothing wrong with the machine, only with her ability to operate it.

regarding the 'shaven-headed thugs' and their altercation with people drinking alcohol on the Dart, it's illegal to drink alcohol on the Dart, the 'thugs' were doing their job, have you seen some of the yobs drinking on the trains? hassling people and p*ssing on the train? that's why the 'thugs' are employed, to stop people doing that.

I think any train station should have at least one member of staff around who can give assistance to its passengers. It's called customer service. People who can't use machines aren't necessarily 'idiots'. What about elderly people who aren't used to computers/technology or tourists who's English isn't very good. Maybe you should get a job as an Inspector on the Dart. You seem to have the appropriate attitude!

ps I didn't make the post about the 'shaven-headed thugs'.

liaconn, i know you didn't mention the shaven headed thugs, that's why i used a separate paragraph to differentiate, apologies if you thought I was referring to you there. There are staff at all (bar Broombridge) stations, they may not have been at the counter at the exact moment the OP needed one but as someone else pointed out they probably were not gone for long.

OP apologies for using the word idiot, however the machines are easy to use and what you should have stated to the inspector was that you were not able to get the machine to work not that it was broken, when the machine gives you the ticket options you must agree to that ticket otherwise you can't pay and that was what the Inspector was trying to explain.
I still can't see why you wouldn't have given your name to someone wearing an Irish Rail uniform, the fact is that you were travelling without a valid ticket and I don't have a problem understanding what you've said.

Well obviously the machines werent easy to use as already stated and furthermore, you werent there and you have no idea what the inspector said or did not say. I dont care if he had the crown jewels on, he was aggresive, ignorant and a bully and certainly not someone that I would give my demographic details to. I think this thread has been exhausted and I dont wish to respond further, as I said previously thanks to everyone who supported me, and to those of you who did not well, you are entitled to your opinions, it doesnt mean that I will take them on board

you are entitled to your opinions, it doesnt mean that I will take them on board
Don't be surprised that Irish Rail will treat you with the same courtesy. Before you go, have a look at their publication re fixed penalties; [broken link removed]

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.