Altaba liquidation... So weird... Please give me your opinion

LoveTrees

I bought shares in Altaba and now I got liquidation for 75% of the share value (value per share dropped 75% day to day as result). Nobody knows when the remaining value will be liquidated but I find it unfair that I need to consider that 75% liquidation as dividend. Should I consider it as selling of 75% of my initial shares to calculate CGT on that? Then remaining 25% of my original purchase to be compared to the final liquidation value? Thank you so much for your opinion please...

I'm not familiar with the specifics of how the company is being liquidated, but it should be possible to treat a distribution as part of a liquidation / winding up as a capital distribution not subject to income tax - treat the same as a part disposal like you've suggested.

Thank you RedOnion. Actually I think fool.com gave me a clue. I treat that 75% as dividend then when I get final value I claim loss. The balance of numbers gets pretty similar

@LoveTrees no DWT was withheld from the distribution, so its certainly not considered a dividend for income tax in the US.

The Altaba website states the following: "In general, distributions made pursuant to the Plan of Complete Liquidation and Dissolution, including the pre-dissolution liquidating distribution, will be treated for U.S. federal income tax purposes as a series of distributions in complete liquidation of Altaba in which amounts received by stockholders are treated as full payment in exchange for their shares of Altaba common stock". This is for US shareholders but the context is still the same?

Should it not be treated as a part disposal as @RedOnion pointed out?

Hi, sorry I didnt add to it. By the way my broker shows the shares as 'gone' with some potential entitlements I decided to keep screenshot and declare any applicable CGT-liability

Back