Almost expired driving licence

myate

I'm heading to the US in Sept, and will be renting a car for the 3 weeks. My driving license expires mid-Oct, so will still be valid. However, is it like a passport where hire car company (hertz) might insist on having at least 6 months valid license?
thanks

I don't think that is' an issue ... no more than a very cursory look is made at your licence any time I've rented in the US ... any my licence is in bits with wear and tear (how can you get a new one before it runs out ?)

(how can you get a new one before it runs out ?)[/QUOTE]

Does this help

www.citizensinformation.ie/.../replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_driving_licence -

We were able to hire cars in the US for 2 years after OH's licence expired. Didn't even notice til we were hiring a car in the UK and they pointed it out to us. Had been in Chicago 6 weeks before and had no problems!

I've hired a car in the US with only one month left to expiry date on my Irish licence. No problem at collection, but the expiry date was noted by the operator at the time.
If it's expired though, I wouldn't risk it. I was refused a prebooked rental in Fort Lauderdale when I showed up to collect the car. This was a real pain as I had to get around for three days in taxis, sometimes for journeys into and out of Miami which mounted up the costs.
I didn't remember at the time of booking that my licence had expired the previous month, and received no notification from the licencing authority here. I think this has changed now, I received a notification to renew last month.

Thanks! I guess as long as it's not expired! The Hertz website does everything possible so you can't email questions!

I've had problems in the past with a renewal licence as according to that I was only driving a few months, hire companies didn't want to know, think that was in spain or somewhere. Tried to get it corrected but they wouldn't change it for me. Then I noticed a mistake on it, and when they took it away to correct that, they revised the date of issue back to my first licence. Ironically they didn't fix the other error on it.

My driving licence expired last sunday July 18. I went in on Tuesday July 20 and renewed it. I got it in the post today. It says issued on July 20 2010 -sound's fine but then it says from 19-07-00 to 19-07-20. Is this correct? I thought it should have said from 20-07-10. Is the from date the very original date of issue of your first licence?

It just shows how long since you have held that full licence; if it reverted back to 19-07-10, then you could not prove that you have a licence for over 10 years; for example if you need to hire a car abroad, you usually need a minimum of one year on your licence (two years in some countries) and if your FROM DATE was only from a few weeks/months previous you would have problems

That very thing happened to me on holidays a good few years back. Had terrible trouble renting a car. When I got back they wouldn't correct ithe date on the licence. But I spotted another mistake on the licence and when they sent the licence back they had corrected the date. But not corrected the other error.