Allowance for tiling in new house?

Hi, we are about to put a deposit on a new build and just wondered if anyone can tell me that in the allowances you get ie 2000 for tiling, is it just to cover the price of tiles and is the builder expected to have it tiled or is the 2000 to cover tiles and go towards paying an independant tiler who we employ? Sorry for being naive but all our friends and family bought 2nd hand so havent encountered this before!! Thanks

Hello 1997,

From experience, the €2000 will cover tiles only. You will have to organise the labour yourself. I would imagine that you will get a €2000 voucher for a particular tile shop. You will also only be allowed to buy full-price tiles with the voucher, not any special offers.

When we received such a voucher, we spent the voucher on the grout and adhesive first (as this tends to be a fairly standard price and not subject to sales etc) and then spent our the balance plus our own money on the tiles we wanted (therefore we were able to avail of any special offers going)

I have a good recommendation for a tiler in the Kildare area if that's any use to you.

Greatstuff, thanks for the reply, we were lead to believe it would be a cheque we would be issued with that we can redeem where we wanted!!! House is in Carlow so if the tiler is willing to travel I could probably do with his number alright, thanks again!

Back