allofmp3.com - opinions?

sluice44

Has anyone heard of, or used, www.allofmp3.com?

The Register describes it in this story about music downloads as a;

....with AllofMP3.com - a quasi-legal Russian site - in second place. The Russian site sells albums for £1, compared to iTunes' 79 pence per track charge. The IFPI tried to take action against AllofMP3, but failed.

There was a thread about them recently but I can't seem to locate it at the moment.

[broken link removed] might be of interest.

Bottom line - downloding albums for $1.33 might technically be legal in Russia. But the music industry wouldn't necessarily agree (not that I have a huge amount of admiration for how the music industry has dealt with the downloading issue). I don't see how this can be more acceptable than Limewire or Bittorrent, really.

I use allofmp3.com. Great site. I'm aware of the questions marks over the legality of the site, but until there's a definitive ruling one way or the other, I'll continue to use them. The other "legal" sites such as iTunes charge too much per song IMHO.

Well I've used them and I'm happy I'm not doing anything illegal. I looked into it carefully beforehand and from what I read they were taken to court in Russia by the music industry and the court decided there was no case to answer as allofmp3.com were not breaking any Russian laws. Apparently copyright law works differently in Russia. The music industry may not like it but I'd lose very little sleep over that.

I could of course be proved wrong but at the moment I have a clear conscience.

Apparently the Irish and many other music industries are trying to get this brought down.
The last I heard is that they will end up having allofmp3.com boycotted by the credit card companies, they have already stopped paypal.

The paypal "workaround" that allofmp3 set up (XROST.com, a seperate entity that accepted your paypal payment then issued you with a PIN to use to pay for your allofmp3 tracks) is also not working anymore, looks like paypal have copped on...

so is it safe to use then?
someone at work used them and over time bought 200 albums for like 240euro which would have cost over 2000euro on itunes...

I use them and have had no problems. Someone in work told me about it when I said I didn't like using the free music download sites for 2 reasons. Firstly my internet security was asking me to approve the use of adware on my computer. This was how the site funded the free version of software. Not in this life time! And secondly I think it is more legal than shareware and until I am told differently I will continue to use it.

I use allofmp3 quiet regularily. You can choose whatever audio file type and bit rate you wish and are always guranteed excellent sound quality.

Cantona7 said:
so is it safe to use then?

While there are some doubts regarding the legality of allofmp3.com selling music so cheaply there doesn't seem to be any evidence out there that your credit card details will end up in the hands of the Russian mafia etc.
[Googling allofmp3 and scam doesn't pulling up anything of significance]

If you're still worried you can alway buy a prepaid credit card from

https://www.3v.ie/

As of yet it is not illegal, so you can use it. I read an article recently, might have been Cnet, where they say it is still legal and it has to be thought of as Russian company Exportingproducts, just because it is digital it is still an export, hence it is legal...eventually it will be brought down, however at the moment it is all good. I have used it for over a year now and have had no issues, I still buy CD's from albums that I really like anyway....

i use it for music for work and contated irma, they say its a grey area, you are buying the goods in good faith but are not paying market value in ireland for them.

the copyright laws in russia are different, thus the difference in price.

if i can pay 1/10 of the price of i tunes i will, i run a business and like anyone else if i can reduce my costs i will.

What bugs me about the AllofMp3 site is that they seem to have to encode tracks before they're available to download. As I write this I've been waiting 15 minutes for an old Simple Minds album to be 'encoded', the longest yet I've had to wait. By the way, I use the site to get MP3s of all the old vinyls I spent a fortune on when I was a teenager (all now rotting in my attic); I believe I've a God-given right to get these on the cheap!!

apparently its one of the more popular download sites online
(see here) which proves that people are willing to pay for music online but not through the nose for it. How much is a song worth anyway? They seem to have an average price of around 10c (US) which seems to have proven popular. I wonder if the more established music download websites will follow suit?

Thought they worked off data transfer for pricing, so the higher quality bit rate you want(no matter what format), the larger the file and the larger the cost, seems fair as youre paying for the amount of data you receive.
from the site..

The price of the files that you download is determined by their quality that is by the file format and bitrate.
The order total is shown on the Order screen
You will NOT be charged for either previewing tracks or for the encoding process.

The more established music sites will not follow suit as theyre not in russia and complying (or not) with russian law.

yeah, you're right about the pricing being based on the size of the data - I usually go for the medium quality option - where the average song is 5mb and costs about 10cents.

Back