Allianz Arena VS Lansdown road

shnaek

I was looking up info on the various stadia Germany have built for the world cup when I came across this article on the Allianz Arena:
[broken link removed]

They built this stunning stadium which has a capacity of 70000 for 340 million! So what's the story with the 45000 seater Lansdown road? I feel like locking myself into a church on hunger strike until I get some answers as to why we can't built an Allianz Arena here for the same price!

Do they not stock them in IKEA??

But seriously, I think its the 'reports about reports' syndrome, protracted planning system, the landed gentry types in D4 not want a cafuffle on their doorstep, unprecedented building boom, and so on .... and so on......

The GAA were very lucky to have gotten in before the real craziness started. Also, I often have the suspicion that where its clear that state money is involved, everyone starts adding zeros.

That seems to be the case alright. Once the states paying for it (which is us the taxpayers in effect) the zero's get added to the end of all the quotes.
I read somewhere, around the time of the Bertie bowl in Abbotstown, that some 50,000 seaters stadiums in England were being built for aroun 50million and the quotes for similar in Ireland were nearing the 500million mark! Its a joke!

The allianz has a better roof as well , but not as good as Cardiff where it fully closes, and we are a wet country. You will get drowned in the new Lansdowne
if its raining and you are at the north end

[broken link removed]

The Allianz is bigger AND better so it is and it was ONLY €280m and ONLY sits 66,000 and was built in ONLY 2.5 years and has the biggest underground car park in Europe built underneath it as well.

[broken link removed]

Frankfurt has something like Lansdowne with about 50,000 capacity

The stadium itself cost €126m and €45m on top for a tube station underneath and road network improvements .

[broken link removed]

We will spend 3 times that on the stadium while the Dart upgrades are hidden in the CIE budgets somewhere. Were we German we would have a Frankfurt, a proper Pairc Ui Chaoibh and a new Thomond Park built for the same cost.

But we are not German , we are just stupid !!!!

That stadium in Munich was the one that sprung a leak during a match that was on telly...don't ask me who was playing though!
Second, the images as i understood it of the new Landsdown Road are only artists reproductions and do not show the actual literal final design?
The Millenium stadium with full roof was opened in 1999 and cost 126 million sterling

legend99 said:
Second, the images as i understood it of the new Landsdown Road are only artists reproductions and do not show the actual literal final design?

I imagine the final design will be invisible - I really can't see this stadium ever being built. There are too many wealthy neighbours in the area. The planning process will go on for years. Which means the GAA may apply pressure to move the stadium elsewhere so it can be built more quickly.

Either way it will end up costing far too much for a stadium which is too small.