Allendale D15?

positivenote

hey folkes,
recently saw a property in allendale d15, facing Ongar. was wondering if anyone had any opinions/advice on theis area. It seems a nice quite estate but im not too sure what the amenities are like? bus routes, shops, pubs etc... in the area. i know clonsilla aint too far but was wondering if there are and shops and the like within walking distance of the area, also is it a safe area to live?

Re: Allendale D15??

Have you visited Ongar town? It is a doable walk from Allendale and it has a Dunnes food shop, Dominos, Extravision, Healthy Bread shop, nice coffee shop (that has a free "take a book, leave a book shelf"), a barbers, an off-licence and a pub in the pipe line. The village also has a chemist, a hairdressers and a curves gym as well as a bookies. Basically everything you would need!

I live in Allendale and can confirm its very quite. Never anything going on really. Shops are very close and Bus Stop is now right outside on the New Ongar Distribution Road. Estate is always clean and havnt heard of anybody complaining.
G

missed out on the property mate, got out bid unfortunately. Heard its a nice area alright.
thanks for the reply... if you hear of anything going in the area feel free to let me know.

Have you tried further up the road, beyond Ongar, near Clonee. I saw a load of new houses being built there called Clonee Manor and then there also new hourses being built in Latchford near there too. At least with a new house you can't get outbid!

I see it's been a while since anyone posted on this area but we're looking at houses there and I'm just wondering whether the parts towards the back of the estate - the ones that border with parts of Clonsilla (Hunstown I think), are ok? I noticed a lot of grafitti on the walls in that part but the rest of the estate is spotless?? I'd also be worried about kids/teens coming in from that estate and hanging around causing problems near my house - we had problems with that kind of thing before so I'm a bit wary. Any other comments about that estate in general??

Hi,
I live towards the back of Allendale near the wall you mention and you're right - yeah there has been a good bit of graffiti in the area over the past few years, but i'd reckon just about on par with the rest of blanch/d15. There is a fairly active and effective residents association which lobbied strongly to get the access from hartstown closed up by means of a large fence, and this has pretty much eradicated most of the problems. However, with a large green area it has to (unfortunately) be expected that it will be abused from time to time. That said, there's been very little anti-social behaviour in the area for the past 12 months or so. The estate is still in the control of menolly homes, so they'll have to snag the estate and get it cleared by the council before fingal will take it over, so there's every chance stuff like that will get cleared up. Question, is how long before it returns? Seems like every new wall in blanch/clonsilla/clonee/coolmine/hartstown etc has graffiti of some description.
on teh plus side, it's a grand estate overall. suffers a bit from a high proportion of rented properties (no offence to renters intended) but you can tell some households clearly don't have any interest in maintaning a nice neighbourhood.
Feel free to ask any questions about the area - i've lived there 3 and a half years so am well up to date with how it has developed.
cheers,
sham_bo

I've lived all my life in D.15, in the expensive (family home) and not so (90% mortgage) parts of it, and haven't found graffiti excessive. Nothing like a generalist comment to annoy a resident!

I've lived all my life in D.15, in the expensive (family home) and not so (90% mortgage) parts of it, and haven't found graffiti excessive. Nothing like a generalist comment to annoy a resident!

I'm curious what level of graffiti is "excessive". AFAIK there isn't an area in D.15 that doesn't have some graffiti. It not on every road, wall, house etc, if you are taking "everywhere" literally. Its comes up quite often in the Fingal Council Meetings about the area. So some people obviously think its an issue.

i've lived in D15 for over 7 years and in my opinion the graffiti problem has worsened during that time. Take a walk around hartstown for instance.

Littering and dumping of bags of rubbish (although this has probably been caused by the bin-tagging system) has also increased in the area.

I guess the only consolation is that it seems to be an Dublin-wide problem, and not just confined to D15.

I'm in D.15 a decade or two and IMO its increased a lot in the last 3yrs. Its overdeveloped and theres alot more kids hanging around.

I agree with ya. it's an absolute disgrace. Imagine kids going around in dublin jerseys destroying their locality. Ironic or what?

[hi all, i am new to the area and went to view a house in allendale last week. its part of the old allendale house estate. The house is just off of ongar road/clonsilla road. looks to be a lot of developmet around there and lots of waste ground graffitti also. the land is up for tender for lots of flats. whst the area like around here. has the land been up for sale for long?

Hi Lisa,
If you read the above posts, it appears that D15 in general has a graffiti problem, but then most places do!

I live in the new(ish) allendale development across the road from where I think you went to view. That site was used as a building site for when Allendale was being built and also for when the road was being constructed a few years ago. So i'm sure it will be well cleaned up if apartments are being built. The area is generaly fine - no better or worse than a lot of what D15 has to offer to be honest.
The pro's to living where you viewed would be; decent enough bus service, close to existing train and proposed station at hansfield, new ongar road eventually joining up with n7.
The cons (as i would see it) are that quite a few apartment blocks in D15 are inhabited by large families which can cause parking nightmares. There aren't really any decent pubs or nice restaurants nearby - ongar would be a 5 minute walk, but that's not great imo. Also, the ongar road will probably continually get busier over the next few years. Finally with the continuing developments going out towards clonee, back road to lucan etc, you can expect more pressure on the roads, trains etc also for the future!
hope this helps - best of luck with your searching!