Alitalia-Lost Luggage

R

ricky

A group of six of us flew from Rome last Thursday 23rd to discover 2 of us had missing luggage when we arrived in Dublin airport.We duly completed the necessary forms to report our missing luggage but to date only 1 bag has turned up.To add to the misery we also had 1 bag do missing on the outward journey,this did turn up after 24hrs.
Has anyone had a similar experience with Alitalia? It seems after 5 days missing we may have to wait 8 weeks for them to identify the luggage and even then there is no guarantee we will get it.
Dublin Airport have faxed through to Rome requesting info but no reply as yet,in fact Dublin Airport told us that 'Rome' dont feel they need to reply..some customer service!
Any suggestions ???

Did you have travel insurance (even if you didn't have a special policy if you booked the tickets on credit card you may be covered) ?

If you have no travel insurance the only obligation from the airline is the ~$20/kilo liability if the luggage is totally lost (after the 8 weeks you mention probably) ... They may pay out of pocket expenses as a goodwil gesture but the $20/kilo is the only legal obligation I think.

If you have travel insurance you may be entitled to out of pocket expenses while waiting for lost luggage... and you will also probably be entitled to more compensation if your luggage is totally lost.

Alitalia are hopeless in this regard

My wife lost luggage last year on a flight from Rome to Napoli.
The number they gave us was constantly engaged or else hung up immediately.

She did get the luggage two days later though, delivered to the hotel

When I went to the lost luggage office in Napoli on the way back. I witnessed one of the staff simply lifting a ringing phone and hanging it up repeatedly.

I asked why did they bother to give out a number and she just said it was a mere formality.

Since we had received our luggage at this point, I didn't see any point in further interrupting our honeymoon and left them to it.

Hopefully your bag will turn up, because I doubt you will get any joy from Customer services

Flew Mexicana airlines recently and they lost my bag, they were very responsive to my plight but when I attempted to claim, they came back to me and said that if it wasn't delivered within 24 hours then yes they would re-imburse me, damn thing turned up 16 hours later! Hmm.....Not sure why I shared that! Never flew Alitalia though!

Thanks for the replies folks..

We do have travel insurance if all comes to all but we are still holding out on it turning up..somewhere!
T
ravel light in future !

Only claim against AlItalia, what you may get back from your insurance will be mimimal.If you had to buy a coat, umbrella, whatever ..to make you feel as though you had not lost your luggage.Keep the receipts. Then send the receipts and a copy of the Property Irregularity Report.(Lost baggage Report) to AlItalia and claim for the money on your receipts.

alitalia

Hi,

I flew with Alitalia in march to and from Rome. on the way back, my bag was delayed by a day & when it eventually turned up, it was damaged & lots of stuff taken out of it, including dirty underwear !!! how discusting !

I got the forms to claim but in the end i didn't because the travel insurance requires receipts and i didn't have any from the clothes i lost.

I won't be travelling Alitalia again

Back