Alignment of walls at road frontage

nt00deep

A row of one-off houses all have statements in planning permission re: distance from centre of road to boundary wall. I can't remember what it is, but assume it is consistent for all of the houses.

Here is the dilemma: The road is curved, and nobody wants curved walls, so there is some interpretation to be done to ensure everything looks right & does not contravene terms of planning permissions.

An entire wall cannot be x metres from centre of a curved road unless you build a curved wall, so if building a straight wall, one must take one point in the wall and ensure it is x metres back, and then pragmatically place start and end points of wall so that general alignment of adjacent walls makes sense.

I believe the walls should not be stepped out from each other. i.e. start of one wall is closer to the road than end of previous wall. The piers between properties should be together.

Some houses are planning to do otherwise, so that instead of having one line of walls that roughly follow line of the road, we will have some walls stepped out from others.

We will have all walls at least x metres back, but to do it right, some will need to be more than x metres back to have any chance of retaining sensible wall alignment.

Would planning authorities likely be more upset with the stepped out walls (lack of alignment) or be more upset with aligned walls that do not (because cannot) adhere strictly to the x metres offset ?

why wouldnt you curve the wall???????????

thats the obvious and proper answer.... and the only one that truely complies with permission......

are you sure you can build a wall anyway... most conditions these days pertain to timber post and rail fences with indeginous hedgerows..... which would look a thousand times better than haphazard 100 ft walls....

Back