Alert: bogus bank account check e-mail

PMU

[FONT=&quot]My better half received an e-mail today purporting to come from AIB bank asking that you confirm your account details. This was a bit suspicious as the better half has an AIB credit card but not an AIB bank account. Anyway, we contacted AIB on this an it appears to be a phishing e-mail. We forwarded it on to them. The e-mail was very professional looking. So if you get it you may wish to contact AIB and not reply to the e-mail. [/FONT]

A general rule of thumb would be that if it claims to come from a financial institution (AIB Customer Services or whatever) & requires you login to your account or otherwise confirm your details it's phishing.

Having a public email address I get several phishing emails a day for PayPal, eBay, US Banks, UK Banks, Irish Banks... I wouldn't even bother reading beyond the Subject / Sender.

Internet Explorer 7 & Firefox 2 both feature an integrated phishing filter which will warn you in the event you do happen to try load such a site (Assuming it's already been reported).

Back