Aldi surround sound speakers

earwig30

I see that Aldi are offering surround sound speakers on Thursday for only €38

Has anyone bought these in the past and are they any good?

[Edited by DrMoriarty to include link]

Aren't these designed for use with a PC? Just in case you were expecting to use them with an home cinema system?

I bought something similar about 18months ago. 2 speaker surround, with sub-woofer for €30 or something like that.
It does the job satisfactorily. Gives more ooompf to the sound. You're not going to get perfection from it, but for a 2nd tv, or kids tv, it's fine. Great for sports coverage on the tv as well.
One thing though. The cable lengths on the 2 speakers were very short - wouldn't extend beyond the top of the tv. So from that perspective, not really surround-sound.

earwig30 said:
I was hoping to use them on our PC to listen to music
Should be fine so. I just wondered if you were intending to attach them to a surround sound receiver/amp or something in case they might not be suited to this purpose.
ronan_d_john said:
One thing though. The cable lengths on the 2 speakers were very short - wouldn't extend beyond the top of the tv. So from that perspective, not really surround-sound.
I guess you could always buy a longer run of suitable speaker cable from the likes of Maplin and rewire them yourself? Of course too long a run and the added impdedance might adversely affect them I suppose...

also if you have to plug them ina dn not run through an amp that would not be suitable as there is more than signal running through the wiring.

best for home cinema is bose without a doubt and for pc, i got a 6 speaker creative set about 5 years ago and they are still going strong, i know they are pricey, but they last.

I bought the Aldi ones (looked very similar if not identical to current ones) about a year ago. I would agree that the cable lengths on some of them aren't all that long, but the sound quality seemed fine to my uncultured ear. Not really a music/electronics buff though.

Thanks Clubman, I have checked out the Creative site and the prices were not bad atal, purchase about to be made, all we have to do now is agree on which ones!!!