Aldi- Purchasing Alcohol "Challenge 25"

loulou117

Has anyone come across this and can anyone clarify what is "challenge 25" and is it a campaign enforced in the republic of Ireland.

I'm in my late 30's and everytime I purchase alcohol in Aldi the staff member asks me "am I over the age of 25yrs" - I emailed Aldi regarding this because it is making me very uncomfortable and they stated: its the law and all Aldi stores use the Challenge 25, they query a customers age when they think the customer might not be over 25.

This makes no sense and I have google this and I see its a campaign in the U.K. but cannot find anything on this in the republic of Ireland. The consumer board say, of course 18yrs is the legal age and I came across in the RRAI you can query someone's age if you think they are under 21.

Has anyone come across this "Challenge 25" when purchasing alcohol in Ireland.

I havn't come across it. However, you should take it as a complement. I wish someone was still asking me for my ID!

It would be a pain in the backside if they kept asking for ID and were over 30.

I don't see the problem here.

A minor inconvenience to help prevent underage drinking. If you drive to the ldi, you should carry your driving licence with you - give them that. Or if coming from work, perhaps you've a work-ID? Or if comign from home, bring your passport.

Faintly ridiculous? Yes, but where is the inconvenience?

.... Faintly ridiculous? Yes, but where is the inconvenience?
I see it as a little more serious than that because, to quote the OP :

"... they stated: its the law and all Aldi stores use the Challenge 25, they query a customers age when they think the customer might not be over 25." emphasis mine.

An in-store challenge issued on this basis in an Irish shop is open to a court challenge (a real legal challenge) and I think it is reasonable to expect that ALDI provide their staff with adequate training to be able to operate within the liquor licensing laws of Ireland.

Object to renewing their liquor licence until staff are properly trained?

We don't know where the OP emailed - did he email Scotland - was his email posted through to there automatically? Did he identify himself as Irish ? Did the complainant suffer any loss as being asked to prove their age?

A reply to the effect that 'No I am under 25 but over 18' and here's my proof would work.

I don't think Aldi are refusing to sell alcohol to people aged 19 / 20/ 21/ 22/ 23 / 24 / 25 years of age - do you?

re

Let me clarify for you Kildavin, I am continuously being asked "am I over 25yrs" (never have I being asked to show I.D. so whats the point, sure I could be lying...), I have answered yes and even on one occasion I stated my age which I didn't have too and laughed but this is continuing....you cannot see the inconvenience, seriously!!!!

Also, I am in contact with Aldi and from the onset I clearly stated the store location and asked is this "challenge 25" enforced in the republic of Ireland, I am aware its a UK campaign.

I have being in contact with the consumer of Ireland and they have not heard about it and I'm currently awaiting a response from the RRAI (responsibilities retailing in Ireland) who state: if a person looks under the age of 21yrs I.D. can be requested when purchasing alcohol.

Since corresponding with Aldi and they have stated its the law and they only enforce it and now today a different customer service person said, no its not enforced in Ireland the challenge 25 but they are entitled to ask if I'm over 25ys and ask to see i.d. - Well they can't and by them enforcing their own policies (i.e. u.k. governed policies) this is a clear breach of the RRAI, so i'll be putting this in writing and requesting a response.

I agree it is a training issue. When alcohol is scanned a warning flashes up to check the age of the customer. This is simply cancelled if the customer is obviously over 18. Otherwise ID should be sought to complete the sale.

Now I am almost 40 and am fully grey. I would be miffed if someone asked if I was over 25. This device could be used to deny service to anyone the shop person chose to.

I look forward to their response.

They need to sort it out. I'm a fan of the shop but some of their employees take it too far.

I was visiting my local Aldi about two years ago with my partner, the two of us nearing thirty and unfortunately for us, both looking it. I was buying a small whop which included two bottles of wine. When I was paying, was asked for ID, which I presented. But then my partner was asked for ID. He (never needing it and being around the corner from his house) didn't have anything, and they refused the sale. The woman in charge was actually rude about it, and I followed on and complained.

I was told that this is their policy, to card everybody, even the people not buying alcohol, and was only apologised to me because of her rudeness, not because they refused to sell me alcohol as an adult. Don't get me wrong, I like Aldi, they've nice food at good prices, and I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, but I do choose to do my main shop in Lidl as a result... it's not worth the hassle.

I contacted ALDI on their expensive 1800 number. This connects to an English call centre. I was also told "it's the law" and was then told it's "store policy", so apparently the lack of staff training is wide-spread. I asked for a call-back from someone in authority, knowledgeable about Irish liquor licensing laws; I won't hold my breath.

Yes I had another email today stating "its the law" yet yesterday a different customer service person said, its not its just Aldi's policy, definitely a training issue regarding policies and procedures when it comes to customers purchasing alcohol.

It's very clear this "challenge 25" is enforced in the U.K but it does not appear to be here so then it cannot be an Aldi policy in the Republic of Ireland. RRAI outline policies and procedures for supermarkets.

I do prefer shopping in Aldi but there's no way I'm going to be continually questioned am I over 25yrs when I'm actually over 35yrs....

I have a nice detailed letter ready to go off tomorrow by registered post.., just trying to get a contact name in the Head Office in Newbridge, Naas..

Is this just one shop or a few different stores that are doing this? Same assistant each time?

Interesting point Time. Well I don't know about the other Aldi stores and I am specifically relating my queries to the one in question as its the only one I shop in.
Also, it is the same assistant each time.

When I was in touch with customer service they explained they had contacted that particular store and the manager apologises but it is store policy and as already said, another customer service person said, this campaign it appears is not enforce in the republic, they also stated challenge 25 is advertised in all stores and this is incorrect because its definitely not advertised in my local store.

I would go to a different assistant the next time just to see if it is just a training issue.

I would go to a different assistant the next time just to see if it is just a training issue.

Sometimes, there is just one till open, especially at less busy shopping times.

I would say it to the particular assistant that " you query my age every time I buy alcohol, I am over 18, over 25, in fact over 35. Must you ask me every time?"

I go to the same Aldi store a few times a week and have only ever heard the store assistants ask customers if they are over 18 when buying alcohol - have never heard over 25 mentioned. I can't say I lose sleep over it me but when you're two score and twelve it seems a bit ridiculous to be asked and I'm never asked in any other store or off license about my vintage because it's depressingly obvious to anyone who reacts to light that I'm not borderline 18 :rolleyes:. I find there's generally a bit of an embarrassed laugh at the checkouts when mature people are asked are they over 18 - the roll eyes smiley would come in handy :rolleyes:. My 19 year old daughter expects to be asked about her age though when buying alcohol and rightly so because, depending on the levels of face paint, one could reasonably think her to be anywhere between 17 and 21 or 22, lovely lady that she is.

i always get asked in Aldi and I am 43! They ask if I am over 18 though.....Think they ask this of everyone regardless of age. The customer before me was clearly in his late 60's at least and was also asked.

What's the problem here? It's not illegal for any store to refuse alcohol to people under 25 or even 50 if they so wish. It's just illegal to sell alcohol to under 18's.

I can see why it's annoying but hardly worth writing letters etc. I think more places should do it. I would have no problem being asked for ID when I purchase alcohol and I am nearly 40. It doesn't bother me when I go to the States having to carry around ID.

Back