Aldi MP3 player

collieb

Hi all,

For you rinfo,I Just checked out Aldi for upcoming special offers (I missed the laptop and am determined not to miss a bargain again!!)

Anyway, a 20gb MP3 player for €219 on May 19th. I know thats a hell of a lot cheaper than an ipod, but not sure how it rates compared to zen, iriver etc...

collieb said:
I missed the laptop

Collieb. As mentioned in another thread Aldi will backorder (only) laptops and PCs so if you want the laptop it might still be possible to get one.

It's not bad, but... a hell of a lot cheaper than an iPod?

How do you make that out?

iPod 20GB for €293 [broken link removed]. Is it worth 70 squid cheaper for a no-name over a proven class-leading product?

Good link, MonsieurBond - pretty good prices - seems like a version of Amazon.co.uk customised for Ireland. However, I wouldn't describle the ipod as class-leading in any respect except, perhaps, hype and slick marketing. Try the Creative Zen or iRiver alternatives for better value, higher specced (eg FM radio included) products. And you don't have to put up with Apples proprietory (naturally) format. But of course if you really, really HAVE to have it in pink or lime-green......................then you're a fashion victim!

BTW, wouldn't dis the Aldi/Lidl audio/video/pc product range. They are obviously loss leaders, sourced in massive bulk at the keenest of prices from reputable manufacturers. I've bought an LCD tv and a HDD DVD recorder from Lidl and both are excellent products.

Observer said:
BTW, wouldn't dis the Aldi/Lidl audio/video/pc product range. They are obviously loss leaders

I very much doubt that Aldi/Lidl are selling these products at a loss!

Observer said:
BTW, wouldn't dis the Aldi/Lidl audio/video/pc product range. They are obviously loss leaders, sourced in massive bulk at the keenest of prices from reputable manufacturers.
Seems unlikely that they would be loss leaders, given that they won't really be attracting people into the store for other purchases. You're not going to buy a laptop & pick up block of cheese & a bag of chicken nuggets as an impulse buy.