aldi burner

S

setanta

Aldi are advertising a gericom external dvd burner for sale on Thursday 3rd March. It is advertised as multi format dual layer external dvd burner, burns dvds in both 'positive' and 'negative' formats. I am a novice at this burning game.The computer I use has a dvd drive and cd drive on it but no burner. If I were to purchase this product would I be able to burn dvd's and cd's and download music to cd's etc from this burner? They currently have a samsung TS H552 on sale for €90 but the gericom ones reads better for the extra €10. Replies greatly appreciated.

If I were to purchase this product would I be able to burn dvd's and cd's and download music to cd's etc from this burner?

That should be the case. Note however that most downloadable music tracks will be in one or other of the compressed digital formats (e.g. MP3, WMA etc.) so will only play on a compatible player and not on many CD only players. However CD albums can also be copied within the limitations of the relvant licensing/copyright agreement. You may need to check more carefully about the dual layer and multi-format support though and also what players that you own will be compatible with media that you write in this way. This DVD FAQ might be of interest to you.

thanks Clubman. at this stage dual layer = double dutch.
will follow up link though.

Basically:

Single layer = 4.7GB
Dual layer = 8.5GB (double the capacity)

Most commercial DVD releases are on dual layer media which is why when people copy them onto single layer writeable media they need to use something like DVD Shrink to compress the original. Dual layer should get around this particular issue.

mp3

Using Nero etc you simply select to burn an audio cd and drop the Mp3 files into the burning window. Nero automatically converts the Mp3 files to CD Audio so you end up with a normal cd. Of course, you are limited to the normal 80 minutes of audio that a cd normally has as opposed to the number of Mp3's you could fit on a cd.

Re: mp3

Thanks Clubman and P&r; Next query. I was in Aldi this morning reading the spec of this external ( samsung) Gericom burner.The requirements are pentium iv 2GHz or above, windows 98se ( etc)and 256 mb or above.
two of these are ok, I have 98se and I have 480mb but when tried properties in my computer to find out my CPU what I get is - Genuineintel x86 family 15 model 2 Stepping 4. , which leaves me lost again. Is there any way I can check the capacity of my Cpu to confirm I have enough power to run this burner?
ps the aldi promise is unreal compared with other 'electrical' outlets. Burner is guaranteed by Samsung for 3 years but Aldi seperately will refund the purchase price if I am not satisfied with product inside the first 12 months. Two different staff of Aldi informed me of this so I take it as genuine.

I believe you have a P4 by your description above.

I also see that Argos have an internal DVD+/-R/RW dual-layer drive for the same price. Or you could shop online and get one for in or around the €70 mark.

But if you're not au fait with the innards of a PC then the external one is for you. I'd imagine that you would probably need USB v2 or Firewire to make the most of it.

Thanks Father: Usb 2.00 and firewire advertised on box. What is firewire?. Being from a border county I am familiar with fairly good quality 'fire water'. So good that it compares with best Black Bush the truth be told. Even if I have the p4 how do I find out its capacity. 'properties' informs me to contact contact my local supplier, which is rich as the computer is an IQON ( ie assembled in Dundalk) Thanks

I think you should be in good enough shape to be in a position to buy this burner if you want to. As long as you have USB 2.0 ports on your PC you're OK. You can get a Firewire adapter (if the PC doesn't already have Firewire) if you want but USB 2.0 should be fine.

Can you tell us which PC you have by telling us where it is on the [broken link removed] website or is it a few years old at this stage? There are a number of utilities you can use to say what type of machine you have but I think we've established the CPU type and you'd appear to have enough RAM.

For what it's worth I recently bought a combined USB 2.0/FireWire PCI extension card from [broken link removed] in the UK for the equivalent of about Eur 30 including delivery. It's a cost effective way of upgrading an older PC to USB 2.0 and FireWire in one go. Alternatively Maplin also sell a combined [broken link removed] card for about Eur 50 at the moment.

Thanks for the links. Computer about 2 years old, Philips Multimedia - even though IQON site talks about 'irelands number one manufacturer etc the back of the computer states 'made in china'. Nothing new there then. Anyway out for a wee walk on sunday and popped into Harvey Norman, cheapest external drive I saw was €149 for approx same spec but the cpu required was only p3 and 800 ghz. strolled on to pc world in the same complex and they had one for €179. None of these 'computer' companies will refund you after the product is purchased if it wasn't what you wanted etc. According to aldi the manufactuers guarantee is in addition to their promise to refund if not satisfied or it doesnt suit etc . aldi had plenty last week so maybe this week will purchase.Cheers and thanks.

Anybody know if Aldi (Fonthill Rd?) has any of these babies left?

bough mine in Dundalk tonight. Plenty left. Also internal samsung burner at €10 cheaper. But I dont know enough about computers etc to chance anything internal. Anyway when this computer is replaced I will still have the external burner, for better or worse.

having bought this a week ago and this being a b/h Setanta decided to do a hughie green and open the box. Not too many instructions and a lot of cables included. one little 3 inch thingy which I threw back into the box straight away. also a cable which I knew to look at wouldn't fit any holes in the back of my computer so back into the box with it too. (tech savy or what?)connected the usb and the power point which was a bit silly ( jack into burner other end into another connection with a 2 point plug which required a converter.) tried to make a copy of Norah Jones cd for my car but was protected, tried to make a copy of Amelie but again protected so used a dvd I bough of 3dollar dvd when they were alive and well and hey presto! copied perfectly. Dont want it for this though, was just trying it out to see if I got it connected correctly before the terrible two return from college at the weekend and confirm that Setanta 'past it' Would however like to make copies of 'legally bought' CD for car entertainment. CM did you mention somewhere recently that selotape or post it sticker stuck to the outside makes it possible to copy cds? I only want to make copies so I can leave my own copy in the house. Where abouts exactly do you stick the selotape etc. ( no rude replies)
cheers

tried to make a copy of Norah Jones cd for my car but was protected, tried to make a copy of Amelie but again protected

CM did you mention somewhere recently that selotape or post it sticker stuck to the outside makes it possible to copy cds?

Probably BMG copy protected CDs - see for a work around.

tried to make a copy of Norah Jones cd for my car but was protected, tried to make a copy of Amelie but again protected

I have been able to make a copy of the Norah Jones cd, I think the fact that I have DVD Region+CSS Free might have allowed me to do this. A good investment at $40.

Are you sure about that? I doubt that CSS has anything to do with the BMG copy protection mechanism.

Back