Alcohol In Gift

C

Craigs Mom

Having purchased a non alcoholic gift from gifts.ie, they sent 2 bottles of wine ! not much good when the recipient is an alcoholic, and what did we get... nothing, not even an apology. All I was told was that it was an error ! that is some error to make...

well, in the scheme of things its no different than ordering a book off amazon and a dvd arriving, its just unfortunate that the nature of the gift was alcohol and the recipient is an alcoholic.

My first thought here is (even though you asked for non-alcoholic) why could you not have chosen a different kind of gift altogether?

I'm afraid the OP won't be able to answer, as she hasn't been registered on the site for long enough to post in The Depths.

In the meantime, she can post a question (as opposed to just letting off steam) in Consumer Issues and Rights — but while gifts.ie may be guilty of making a mistake on this occasion, I doubt the customer has grounds for any redress other than that they make good their error.

My first thought here is (even though you asked for non-alcoholic) why could you not have chosen a different kind of gift altogether?

I wonder what the original gift ordered was? I hadnt thought it might have been a non alcoholic version of an alcoholic drink. Buying something like that for an alcoholic is just very very bad judgement IMO.

thanks rmelly - i guess it was an honest mistake on behalf of gifts.ie - just an unfortunate situation really.

Does this not get the vendor off the hook?

we reserve the right to substitute the item for an upgraded product of equal or greater value.

Mmm...so they upgraded non-alcoholic to alcoholic...jeez what's the world coming to!

I don't know whether or not they did - I'm just pointing out that their terms & conditions certainly seem to allow for substitutions.

Their T&Cs do seem to allow for substitutions. While it seems unusual that alcohol would be substituted for something non alcoholic it wouldnt have been an issue if the recipient wasnt an alcoholic - which is not the vendors fault.

But what if the recipient had been under 18? Surely they cannot just add in alcohol into a gift ordered without alcohol?

I would imagine that their terms & conditions prohibit the sale or delivery of hampers to persons under 18.

But what if the recipient had been under 18? Surely they cannot just add in alcohol into a gift ordered without alcohol?

Thats true - I imagine as you are going through the order process you tick something agreeing that the recipent is over 18? Dont know - just thinking aloud.

I would imagine that their terms & conditions prohibit the sale or delivery of hampers to persons under 18.
Not strictly.

Slightly off topic, but this is letting off steam, so what the hey. Substitutions like that are irritating to say the least - we stopped ordering from Tesco's online after a couple of try-outs because they substituted the wheat free products we ordered for my coeliac wife with the standard versions with gluten. They even replaced wheat free bread with breadsticks! There was no way, at least at the time, of opting out of substitutions.

Of course there is nothing to stop me going to an off licence and buying booze with the intention of delivering it to a minor - so do gifts.ie have a responsibility to ensure that the recipient is over 18, probably not.