Album art On iPods

boris

Just after getting a new laptop and iPod together.

Cant seem to import from the CD to iTunes directly and when I copy to the hard drive and then to Itunes it doesn't copy the album art.

I have tried the "CDDB" function but the Internet connection is refusing to let me in.

Getting your music from CD to iTunes: Put the CD in your drive. Open itunes. Click on the CD in the "source" column on the left. Then click on the "import CD" button on top right of the screen.

Album Art: This is not included on the CD. If you buy music from iTunes music store the album art is included with the track. I assume this is the case with other music stores too. What I do is just download the album art from somewhere else. Go to Amazon.com (for e.g.) and search for the album in question. Then, in iTunes, AFTER you've imported the album, group select all the album tracks in the Library and hit File>Get Info to bring up the track info window. Select the album art checkbox and drag the album art image from your web browser to the album art area.

CDDB - have you set your iTunes prefs to automatically connect to the internet and go to CDDB? Don't know why you'd be refused entry...

Thanks extopia.

Tried all that and am getting INternet error 3221 so will keep at it. Any other handy tips for the Ipod. New to it and absolutely love it.

Are you having any other internet problems? Or is it just with iTunes? I gather you're on a PC? Can't help you with internet connectivity as I'm a mac user.

Hi Extopia,

wow, thats a good tip about downloading the album art; it never entered my head to do that - will try now immediately!

I found this app is very helpful for Album art. Basically search Amazon fo you and prings back the various album covers, but it its not found you can add search criteria.
[broken link removed]

iPod Tips + Tricks n' treats

http://www.ilounge.com/

Thanks lynchtp that done the trick. It even gives you the option to improve on the album cover you have. Fairly impressed with the options. Even gave the covers for a few albums that I thought could not be got any more. Just shows the capacity of Amazon......

lynchtp said:
I found this app is very helpful for Album art. Basically search Amazon fo you and prings back the various album covers, but it its not found you can add search criteria.
[broken link removed]
That's a great little utility all right, though it seems to get a bit confused ('Unhandled exception - no row at position 0') if you try and select a pile of tracks and ask it to import a pile of covers in one go via the button on the right. Is there any other way to import all the covers in one go?

OK - Maybe it's not so great a tool! I had the auto-import switched on, and it imported the ugly mug of the 'fat dancer' (Robbie Williams) for my Jam's Greatest Hits album :mad How can I remove iTunes artwork? I've tried dragging/dropping the correct image on top of Robbie, but it seems to ignore this.

Edit: Getting worse & worse - I had assumed that if you imported the artwork for any track on a particular album, it will show for all tracks on that same album - but it seems not. It only shows for the particular track that you had selected when you ran the import - so you have to select all the tracks of the album, then run the search, then click import - pretty cumbersome...

RainyDay said:
How can I remove iTunes artwork? I've tried dragging/dropping the correct image on top of Robbie, but it seems to ignore this.

Group select the tracks with the offending artwork, do a get info, select the artwork box and delete from there. I use the Mac version so it might be slightly different on your PC.

Auto-import? ...Shudder...

Same as extopia says on PC.

If you select an album (or group of tracks) in itunes, that is have then highlighted when you search with art inporter it will update all the highlighted tracks.
I find it is really slow when doing multiple tracks/albums so I tend to have it find the image and load it to one track then just copy and paste it with itunes.[broken link removed]

Yes, that site's a useful way of searching amazon.com (more or less a redirect, probably how they make their money!).

The new version of iTunes (V7) handles the artwork automatically itself (at last). It also has a fantastic 'cover browser' facility that allows you to flick through what feels like a row of CDs (including artwork) on screen to find your own song. Very cool interface.....

Yes - iTunes has licensed (or bought?) Coverflow, a cool iTunes add-on that's been around for some time. The software can also download album artwork for you if you don't have it already.

does this require an iTunes store account to be setup and are the album artwork downloads free of charge?

does this require an iTunes store account to be setup and are the album artwork downloads free of charge?

Don't know if you need the iTunes account. I have the account, but I haven't made any purchases for a long time. The artwork downloads don't seem to work for me, but it displays artwork that I've downloaded manually.

Pretty sure you need an active account for this feature to work as the album art is downloaded from iTunes itself.