Alaska anyone?

shesells

As part of a multi stop trip in the US we have thrown in 4 nights in Alaska (going from Vegas to Chicago, mad yes but who cares). It's late September and we can just make the last glacier cruise. Anyone any other suggestions? We get into Anchorage at 9pm the first night, have 3 more nights but last night must also be in Anchorage as have 6am flight to Seattle next day.

Have just returned from the most amazing cruise to Alaska - go for it if you can manage to fit it in. Absolutely spectacular, but we were so fortunate with the weather blue skies, incredible cloud formations and sunny, which is really unusual.

I know this is an old tread but I am looking at some info on an alaskan cruise. What is the best time of year to go? Any recommendations on what company to cruise with and any other do's and dont's .

I'd also suggest taking the normal ferry. It goes the same route as the cruises (in fact, it's more flexible) and is a fraction of the cost. There are sleeper cabins and nature talks but it's certainly not as luxurious as a cruise (I'd imagine). Just thought I'd suggest it because cruises can be so expensive.

I have looked at royal carribean cruise and they seem good. Do you get to get off and go on excursions daily. I would love to do some walking in a location with nice scenery. We plan to do 6 days in Chicago and then 7 day alaskan cruise. Where would be the best place to start out from Seatle or Vancouver. In relation to the normal ferry not the cruise is that just a day trip. Is there anyother options out there that I could check.

We went on an Alaskan cruise as part of our honeymoon a few years ago, have to say, absolutely loved it, I wasn't too optimistic as it was something wifey wanted to to do more then me, but it was great

Firstly, get a cabin with a balcony, yes you'll pay more but it is less claustrophobic and sailing up Glacier Bay, sitting on the balcony wrapped up warm with a mug of coffee and seeing a couple of whales as well is a memory I'll have for a long time

You don't need to do an excursion as a port of call, sometimes you are better to go wandering yourself. We did that in Juneau and it was great, Skagway was a bit of a dissappointment, we did a train trip up where the gold prospectors went which was great, but the town itself is a total tourist trap. Ketchikan was very good but Wrangell was my favourite, there's nothing really there but it was very untouristy and because of that, you got a better picture of what it might be like to actually live in Alaska, certainly wandering around the local clothing/gun shop was not something you'd see in Grafton Street

Problem with a cruise is that it will give you a taste for Alaska, but you'll want to go back for more.

Spend a few days in Vancouver as well, great city

Back