alarm wires on upstairs windows

Toby

Just wondering if its the norm to get upstairs windows wired for alarm and also velux windows that open through a shaft to the landing. There is a motion sensor on the landing so the alarm would be set off if anyone went onto the landing while we are out. the motion sensor isn't turned on at night obviously though so whats the chance of someone breaking into an upstairs window at night? Thanks.

What about putting sensors in all the rooms thus eliminating the need to wire the window and door openings. The sensors will pick up any movement in the area/room they are fitted.
My electrician friend wired his house alarm this way and it was a much neater job and is very effective.

Good Luck

One advantage of wiring all windows with sensors is that you can easily check at the alarm panel if all of them are closed before you go out.
Leo

If you rely on PIRs (motion sensors) only then your alarm will not go off until the intruder is actually in the house. If you use contact/vibration sensors on all external doors and windows, combined with PIRs in your main passageways, your alarm should go off as they are breaking in - this will be enough to scare off a significant number of intruders, but if they are already in your room when it goes off they might be more tempted to grab something before leaving.

Do burglars use upstairs windows though? Isn't it always easier to break in downstairs? And are first floor velux windows a risk at all?

Toby said:
Do burglars use upstairs windows though? Isn't it always easier to break in downstairs? And are first floor velux windows a risk at all?

My in-laws were broken into recently through their first floor bedroom window.(house unattended at the time...broad daylight) They have a motion sensor alarm system but only have the motion sensors downstairs. Whoever broke in busted the back bedroom window on the way in, but also busted the front bedroom window(a second escape route in case they were disturbed according to the Gardai)..so yes it does happen.

It was fairly obvious that they spent most of their time upstairs as everything was pulled out...while downstairs they only searched the kitchen...on their way out the back door.

We live in a 3 storey house and our alarm covers all 3 floors. A family relation installed the alarm and recommended contact and vibration sensors on all windows. His reasoning being that contact sensors only set the alarm off when the window is opened but the vibration sensors come into play if the non-opening part of the window is broken or removed...a belt & braces approach. We have a motion sensor in the hall that starts beeping when the front door opens.

I have heard recently of burgleries where the window panes were removed rather than the window/door being forced open.

"I have heard recently of burgleries where the window panes were removed rather than the window/door being forced open"

Isn't this why the seal on uPVC windows is now inside to stop burglars removing the whole unit from the outside.

sueellen said:
"I have heard recently of burgleries where the window panes were removed rather than the window/door being forced open"

Isn't this why the seal on uPVC windows is now inside to stop burglars removing the whole unit from the outside.

Correct it is also easier to replace the glass from the inside of the house if breakages occur does away with the glazier having to use a ladder.

I've heard it said that having the window pane be removed inwards is a fire hazard as if it is removed outwards it can be kicked out.

You should have a contact and vibration sensor on all windows and entry points as a security system is only as strong as its weakest link. Its pretty unlikely that a burgular could remove a window pane without setting the vibration sensor off, though I'm sure it is possible. A PIR in the hallway will trigger the alarm if they do get in this way.