Alarm sensitivity

shkyler

Hi,
I was just wondering is it possible to get the sensitivity on your alarm turned down. Ours keeps going off when we're not ther and not getting happy comments from the neighbours understandably. The wind keeps setting it off I think. Also how much does an alarm service cost does anyone know?

if you look on your bell box outside or on your keypad, it should tell you what company installed your alarm, and ring them and tell them your problem, its easily fixed, its proably just a sensor needs to be twigged or a loose contact,

the company i work for charge, 80 inc vat for a call out, but if you need an extra sensor it would be extra, but there sticklers, they will only fix or service their own alarms, and i know alot of companies are like that because they need engineer codes etc..

there is also a a dialler you can get on your control panel, that you can get that will text your mobile to tell you that your alarm is going off, there is no yearly cost, were as monitoring (garda responce) would cost up to 300 or more a year

If its something that has just started recently it is more likely that it is a faulty device of connection. It is very rare that any setting regarding sensitivity should need to be changed. As jeni said your alarm company should be easily able to sort this for you.

Thanks a million for the info all new to this!

The alarm counts pulses from the shock sensors the sensitivity is lowered by simply increasing the number of pulses for an alarm condition. You will need the eningeering code for the panel and the manual to change that. If you do call the company I would advise you get the engineering code from them in case they go bust.

The problem may not be a sensitvity thing at all. The shock sensors are supposed to be hermetically sealed but ther have been problems with moisture ingress and corrosion with these since day one, very often the problem is with one (or eventually all) of these.

I know sometimes spiders hiding behind the sensors, and deciding to take a little stroll over our sensor can cause our alarm to go off. When hovering I give a little hoover around the sensor, especially the one in the garage.

Our sunroom window had also come a little loose towards the centre and a strong wind would move it and also cause the alarm to go off, we discovered that problem from our report on the control panel as to what zone set the alarm off.

Back