Airtightness Around New Windows

dj01

Whats the best way to ensure a good airtight seal when fitting new windows in a new build? I'm aware that windows are only a small part of the overall airtightness in a house, but want to find out how window openings are best sealed before & after installing windows?

thanks
dj

[broken link removed]

use a system like this, but you would need to use it throughout the build to ensure unifom air tightness.

A lot of builders tend to leave a gap between the window board (window sill) and the window itself which allows an almighty draught in from the cavity ! I've gone around and used silicone on all mine to try keep it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks. syd I've looked at the proclima stuff, but to do the whole house would work out v. expensive. did you use it?

Havealaugh
we got new upvc windows put into our house last Summer and decided to go with wooden window boards. IN the past few months the window boards have started to pull away from the window leaving a gap and a huge draught coming up from the cavity -as you mentioned above. I have been in contact with the company that did the work and they have agreed to replace the window boards and to attach them properly this time. Would you recommend using some expandable foam to fill up the empty cavity just under the boards before getting them replaced? I am also unsure about getting wooden boards fitted again-are there any other benefits to getting the pvc ones instead?

Thanks for any suggestions that can be given

I just ran some Silicone along them and it worked a treat, there is a small "give" with the silicone to allow to for movement and so far so good.

Cannot understand why the top of the cavity underneath the windowsill is not a requirement to be blocked up whilst building is going on, it serves no purpose leaving this cavity open IMO.

just trying to decide: is it better to put windows in place in a timber frame build before or after teh block work? i have seen ( i think on aam) the opinion that they are best put in first before the block work to allow ease of access for sealing around them, but my blocklayer has seen it done the other way..... any opinions/knowledge welcome