Airtight House, MHRV and Gas Cooker

BMD

Hi,

I am almost finished the construction of an airtight house that has a MHRV system installed.

As we approach the final fix, one potential issue that has come to my attention is the use of a range with a gas hob in an airtight house.

I would appreciate it anyone's advice on potential problems and things that I should look out (e.g., extractor fan spec etc.) with respect to this.

Is there any reason for concern?

Thanks

BMD

Hi BMD,

First, I have to confess I am not a fan of airtight houses.

Here is a link you may want to take a look at.

I haven't read all of it myself.

http://comment.veetech.org.uk/index.htm

None of the issues raised therein come as a surprise to me, but its one of the first places I've seen them all grouped together in this manner.

I'm currently undertaking research into this and discussing same with a colleague and a building control officer I know and its raising more concerns than allaying them.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Sorry for silly question but how can you have an airtight house with a chimney(other post)?

You can't, if by that you mean an open chimney.

If you want to refer to another post, post the link to it or the thread its in.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.