Airlock in Water Feed

fjgh15

I recently moved into a 50+ year old house and to do replace the syphon on the toilet I had to turn off the water at the stopcock under the sink downstairs. Got the job done but when I turned the water back on, the feed to the tank in the attic isn't working. The direct feeds to the kitchen sink from the mains is fine, as is anything else fed directly from the mains, but the tank in the attic isn't filling and the ballcock is fine.
I think there is an airlock in the pipe but can't be certain as I'm no expert on these things.
Any and all suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

When you say the ballcock is fine.

Are you saying that you cleared any grit rust dirt from the orifice in same. Such stuff comes from stopvalve when it is disturbed.

If you have a mixervalve on the kitchen sink ,Turn on the hot tap and then the cold one with your hand blocking the the water from coming out, this will put water into the hot system. Turn on the upstairs tap & it should start spitting out water & flowing if it is airlocked. If you havn't got a mixer valve in the kitcehn use a piece of hosing to push water into the hot pipes. I am assuming you have water in the tank in the attic. I owned an old house one time and this use to happen because the wter pipe has to go around a step into the bathroom & got airlocked if the tank in the attic drained down.

Thanks to both for the suggestions - but I managed to find a half hidden stopcock in the hot press that had been turned off and that sorted out the problem. Thanks again to all.

Back