Airlock in rads

ribena

I see a similar post but it's a bit over my head!

I think I have an airlock in my end 2 bedrooms. There is no heat from the centre of the rad down. I have bled both rads and there is no air escaping and the water is hot as the very top of the rad is hot. I actually bled every one of my rads just in case it was coming somewhere else down the line. Do you have to let loads of water bleed out before you release the airlock or am I doing more harm than good by letting loads of water escape?

Many thanks in advance....:)

airlock would be at top if it were an airlock...sludge can make bottom cold. Or issues with balancing. Thats without me reading the detail of the other posts.

From reading the other posts I think it could be balancing also. I actually did notice that the hot water tap in the bath was very slow but just presumed it was an old bath / tap and that was all. I think I'll have to call in a plumber. Thanks anyway.

Yes, definitely sounds either like balancing or if its only one rad, sludge. If you dont want to spend 50e/hr You could first try draining the whole system, spend about 20e on some rad cleanser in woodies. refill the whole system, pour in the cleaner and see if that solves. Draining the system is straightforward. Post back if you dont know how. Ive done a quick google and this link has some good info on it

[broken link removed]

Thanks car. I've read the link and read another link from that one. I've printed it off and will consider it over the weekend. Is it a messy job and roughly how long would it take? I have 10 rads in total.

Maybe 30 minutes for 7 rads in a 3 bed terraced. Ive done it a few times, found the easiest way is to
1. make sure heating is turned off.

2. stop the ballcock in the water tank for the rads by either tying it up with twine on to the roof supports (my preferred method as Ive left the twine permanently on it) or bridging it with a stick as per the link. You'll have to get up to attic for this.

3. Make sure all rads are open to completely drain system, lock any rads you dont want to drain.

4. attach a common garden hose with no attachments to the lowest point tap (theres a pic of one similar in that link). run the hose outside to a drain and then open the valve on the tap. Put a bowl/pot under the point where youve connected the hose to make sure you catch any leakage. If youre getting excess drainage stop the draining and try and tighten the hose on the tap.

5. When the water stops draining, carefully take the hose off the tap (may be some small leakage at this point). Then follow the instructions on the cleanser. lock the tap, release the ballcock in the attic and wait about 40mins-hour, the water tank will be full when the ballcock stops releasing water into the tank.

I cant remember whether you put cleanser in first or last but the instructions should be on the bottle. I think you then drain the system again after about 3 months to get rid of the sludge the cleanser broke down. Either way, the method for draining should be as above and even draining alone should get rid of some of the ****e. It does involve getting up in the attic so wear some old clothes and have a torch, and twine or bridging stick for the ballcock.
Bleed all the rads after refilling to release potential airblocks.

You may have an air blockage going out to the boiler too so make sure you bleed the drain on that as well if the heating wont come back on after refilling the system.

and so concludes my knowledge on draining a radiator system. :)

Back