Airline Compensation

B

Bam

Does anyone have experience of claiming compensation from an airline?
My flight home from holidays in Asia was 30 hours late. My bags still have not made it home 24 hours later. Does anybody know what I am entitled to. Thanks.

Probably depends on the airline and/or your travel insurance - but I think there is a general principle that you won't get much compensation on your return journey - What losses did you incur as a result of the delay?

Not really any financial losses so far. bags still missing though.

They put us through hell though and treated us terribly.

If the flight is delayed by more than 2 hours you are entitled to compensation package, some EU directive. You need to check with your operator. I had a flight delay of 2hrs and 5 minutes recently and got €28 of food vouchers, better than nothing

Think it depends on why the delay too? We were delayed nearly four hours but got nothing cos we were told it was due to bad weather yet other flights got away!

Thanks for all the replies. They put us in a hotel and fed us but we were delayed for 30 hours and constantly told lies etc. Everybody found it very stressful.The problem was with the wing of the plane. Definitely a technical problem.
Does anybody know who I should talk to?

You need to seperate the issue of the flight delay & the baggage delay. Check the terms of your travel insurance and check the policy of your specific airline on both issues.

I am still fighting with Aer Lingus over a delayed flight last March from Paris. To date I have sent them 5 letters and received 5 "thick" responses. We didn't even receive an offer of food vouchers, phone calls etc that they are obliged to offer. There is information on flight delays if you Google "flight delays". However I think that it is an EU directive so I am not sure if Asia is covered.

I have been disgusted by the outcome of a delay on a trip during the summer.
An internal flight in the US was delayed meaning we missed our connection back to Dublin. I've mentioned this here at various stages in the process over the last few months.
The airline company, AMERICAN AIRLINES, rebooked us on a flight 24 hours later but did little else, no meal vouchers, phone calls, etc. Communication with them has revealed that AA have little regard for customer relations or for taking responsibility for the delay and missed departure or passengers welfare.
Adding insult to injury, my travel insurance policy with GETCOVER.COM proved worthless in the circumstances. Tucked away in their copiously worded policy is the damning phrase: you are not covered for "any claim relating to internal flights." This is a travel insurance policy. Why doesn't it cover travel? Any why did they insist on reams of paperwork before revealing that clause like some rabbit out of a hat?
It has been a vexing experience, the upshot of which is that I will not use either company again and will do what I can to dissuade others from using them either.
Good luck to others involved in various disputes with airlines or travel insurance companies. Laws governing air travel include an EU Directive and the Montreal Convention. But frankly, I wouldn't hold out much hope for a positive outcome in most cases.

Bam said:
Does anyone have experience of claiming compensation from an airline?
My flight home from holidays in Asia was 30 hours late. My bags still have not made it home 24 hours later. Does anybody know what I am entitled to. Thanks.

The airlines are generally very quite about compensation with delayed bagage. I know with SAS its $200 if they are delayed over night.

When this happens to me I generally go on a spending spree and buy clothes socks and toiletries ONLY when I know the bag isn't going to arrive that night.

I then use these reciepts to make an expense claim to the central airline office from the last carrier on the flight.

They will only refund up to the value of goods purchased.

I have some experience in the airline liability area and will PM some of you to see if I can help. This probably is the best option, as none of the postings above give enough information to adequately respond.

I'm sorry to hear Ash that you were unable to resolve your insurance policy query with that company.

CMCR.

Under EC 261/2004 which came in in Feb,if a fight is delayed you may be entitled to a refund,depending on the amount of hours and the reason for the delay.See www.ecic.ie /consumer/holidays.

Also check out the Montreal Convention

Aer Lingus have contacted me after 7 months and a number of letters to state that I should have been offered "snack vouchers" to the value of €5 for my delayed flight of two hours. They also state that I should have been provided with two telephone calls.
They are now asking me to forward "receipts" for their consideration. Wow!
The question I want to ask from those in the know is a procedural one concerning the issue of vouchers. Are vouchers automatically handed out at the airport so that you can purchase a "snack". In otherwords before you make the purchase or must you make the purchase and return with your receipts before you are given the vouchers. Can anyone confirm the amount a person should receive?

European Consumer Centre said:
Under EC 261/2004, if a flight is delayed the airline may be obliged, depending on the length of delay and the length of the flight, to provide the following: o Free meal and refreshments o Free telephone call o Free hotel accommodation if departure is delayed until the next day o Free transport between airport and accommodation The length of delay which gives rise to entitlements under the regulation ranges from a 2 hour delay on shorter flights, up to a delay of at least 4 hours on longer flights. Where the delay is longer than 5 hours, the passenger is entitled to be reimbursed. (Under the Montreal Convention there is also provision for air passengers to seek compensation from the airline carrier for delays. It states that if a passenger is delayed financial compensation must be offered. However the carrier is not liable if it can show that it took all reasonable measures to avoid the delay or it was impossible to do so.)

It seems to me that Aer Lingus are trying to avoid their obligations. The text specifies a Free meal and refreshments, not a snack. They also should be providing money as compensation under the Montreal convention.

I would keep at them on this.

Back