Air Travel with Infant

angie

Just to let anyone interested know you can buy a seat for an infant between 6mths and 2 yrs. I didn't know this when booking a trip and only found out recently. You can bring your own car seat and the infant travels in this strapped into the plane seat. I think this is brilliant as it will make the journey much easier. Just wanted to let anyone that this would help know. I had difficulty getting the airline to do it as I was told by their own sales agents that they couldn't do it and it was only on the third call that someone went and actually checked. Ended up costing twice the price of the rest of our tickets because we didn't know at the time we were booking originally so this might be of help to someone out there.

We did this before on a trip to New Zealand because a) it gave us an extra baggage allowance which was important at the time and b) it meant we weren't stuck with one of us holding zag minor for almost 24 hours.

All you have to do is buy a child ticket, but this may not be an option on charter flights.

z

I didn't even think of the baggage allowance thats great Zag I can bring all my shoes !!!!!

Enquire with the airlines before doing it because a lot of Airlines don't do it specially for travelling between cities in Europe. For example, on Ryanair, it is forbidden to do it, they don't allow purchase of a seat for infant.

Samantha,

that was my point the aer lingus staff told me three times I couldn't do it even though the website said yes. I wouldn't mind an hour or two but the four 1/2 hour flight sounds almost bliss with babs in his car seat. This time tomorrow I will be in the sun !!!
Carpenter if I could explain the shoe thing I would but I don't understand it myself but life is not the same without shoes and I would spend 30 mins moaning on hols if I knew the shoes I didn't bring would have been so much better with the outfit. I know its totally daft but what can you do !!!!