Air travel survival guide

It probably won't work as in theory security will confiscate the container.. I believe you're not supposed to bring containers that can hold over 100ml of liquid through even if they are empty.

It probably won't work as in theory security will confiscate the container.. I believe you're not supposed to bring containers that can hold over 100ml of liquid through even if they are empty.

I have often brought my empty 500ml bottle through security at Dublin Airport and re-filled it at the water drinking fountain at Pier B in Dublin airport.

Re airport scanners, see below
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/8547416.stm

Personnally, I only use Ryanair for day trips, I don't like the hassle when it comes to bags and charges, I have found some of their staff extremly rude (bordering on offensive) and I have had too many banged down on the runway landings in Dublin for my liking

City jet are fantastic, if expensive, but City Airport is great as well, although not really suited for kids. I also love Air Canada. I'll always remember a few years ago missing a connection in Heathrow due to a security delay in Dublin, Air Canada rebooked me speedily at no extra charge. There was a stressed out women in the queue in front of me with a baby who'd pooped who had also missed her connection. Whilst one of the Air Canada staff rebooked the woman, her colleague changed the baby's nappy and they were so nice about everything.

My tips,
avoid getting a black cab at Luton airport, chances are the driver won't speak English. If you fly to East Midlands, don't go looking for the taxi rank, there isn't one, you'll have to queue for a mini cab

If you are flying Ryanair to Stansted, remember that the Stansted express train is very dear (ballpark €30 for a return), suddenly that cheap Ryanair flight to London mightn't look so cheap

Avoid Charles de Gaulle if at all possible, I detest the place

I also always use First Defence product, and hand sanitiser before a flight. A plane carrying 200 people may be riddled with various air-borne pathogens and disease.

Justsally - a cautionary tale indeed. Well done for keeping your head about you.

I also always use First Defence product, and hand sanitiser before a flight. A plane carrying 200 people may be riddled with various air-borne pathogens and disease.

I once boarded a flight to Berlin feeling great. Towards the end of the flight I was in bits. I had caught a serious flu on the plane. I staggered through customs and could barely walk. The customs guy asked me if I had taken drugs. Then he realised I was very sick. My weekend was ruined. I went to my hotel and stayed in bed for 3 days. Anything you can do to protect yourself before a holiday is a good idea in my opinion.

Similer thing happened me on a trip to Quebec, I spent the first 2 days in bed until I got some strength. No idea what the bug was but felt like I'd been kicked by a horse all over

Think of a plane as being a the same as a bus, only it flies.

Airports are no hastle, you turn up, put your bags on the conveyor (if you have anything other than hand lugage), walk through a metal detector, show your ticket and get on the plane. No big deal. Dont understand what the fuss is about.

Always bring an empty 750ml water bottle with me, one with the sports sliding top. And would like to recommend the water in the taps at Malaga airport, really good.

Justsally...that was a bad experience all right. When I am in the male toilet cubicle , I am often disturbed by people checking the door or trying to open it.That said I do the same myself when all the cubicle doors are shut as sometimes the doors are locked and no one is inside.
Once in gatwick I had time on my hands and took advantage of an open shower room to have a shower as I was a bit worse for wear.
As i am a budget traveller I am always watching the pennies. The best plan is to take food with you. Apples,bananas and sandwiches and cucumbers as well.I suppose refilling the 500ml bottle is a good idea if one could get a water fountain or one could use the washbasin.The hardest part for me is passing the time during the flight. I don`t really like to read or look out the window as it makes me dizzy.
In Stansted you don`t have to take the train...you can get the bus and you can buy the terravision bus tickets on the ryanair flight for euros 1 to1 .Also don`t eat the ryanair scratchcard no matter how hungry you are.You`d never know,it could be a winner.

Thanks for trying to re-assure me, sunrock.
I would probably do the same thing myself, in the ladies' toilets,i.e. check all cubicles doors, sunrock. However, this man was in the ladies' toilets, where all cubicles except mine were vacant!. He spent almost an hour trying to open the toilet cubicle, by body slamming it, tampering with the latch and continually trying to persuade me to open the door "we go for drink" was his mantra - not exactly normal or acceptable behaviour.

Always bring an empty 750ml water bottle with me, one with the sports sliding top. And would like to recommend the water in the taps at Malaga airport, really good.

I stand corrected then ... I think at the height of the "war on toiletries" paranoia you weren't allowed to bring containers over 100ml through irrespective of whether they had liquid in them or not ... but I guess it's been relaxed now or maybe I'm just making it all up